• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stick grip

tallgeese

Following up on the presentation of the knife, I was wondering what eveyones thoughts were on how to best grip the stick (hanbo, escrima, ect.) durning various segments of training.

For instance, many of the artist who come out of Phillipino backgrounds I've trained with allow no or very little of the stick to protrude from the back of thier hands when gripped. This keeps the weapon from being more easily diarmed.

Converstly, most Okinawan and Japaneese arts taht utilize the stick use some sort of counter-balancing length out the back of the fist. More than anything, this is used for gaining joint poisition and tuite-like manuvers and throws.

In yet another field, most police DT programs, the collapasable baton i sused with just a bit of counter balance length but this is not used to lock and throw.

So, how does everyone here do it?

I vascallate between the postures really with no clear favorite. I strike more these days, so I utilize less of a locking lenght. However, I keep enough to be able to impliment it in striking as well as produce some locking manuvers if needs be (myprimary background).

Anyone else?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Agreed. Perhaps "counter balance" or "weight" is the wrong term to use. I think there is certain;ly more control with a bit out the back. Espically when making quick adjustments for parries and locks and such.

I think there is a good arguement for it being easier to disarm. The trade off being that there is no oppertunity for joint poisition.

I prefer for like in Kali, to keep 1-2 inches away so if you have to butt them with the end, you can really jab it into them. And it allows for a more of a "flowish" movement.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku