• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi, i'm looking into Wing Chun a bit after a friend had me come to class with him and i was just wondering what the purpose of Chi Sao was, i watched my friend and another student do it and it was very confusing especially when i tried it.

Currently a Blue Belt in AKKI Kenpo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that chi sao is the "sticky hands" drill that they do, isn't it?

If it is the drill I am thinking of, they use it for different things, but one of the major ones is for developing sensitivity towards another's movements and intentions, as well as using it to work their trapping drills, which come in handy for self-defense.

How long have you been training in chi sao? It takes many months of training to even begin to get competent at it. It is definately not something that can be learned correctly with just a few lessons.

Ok, that makes sense, i wish i could do it though, my trapping is very much in need of improvement.

If it is the drill I am thinking of, they use it for different things, but one of the major ones is for developing sensitivity towards another's movements and intentions, as well as using it to work their trapping drills, which come in handy for self-defense.

As bushido_man said it is used to develop a sensitivity toward another person's body movements. Also, Bruce Lee, in his book Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Basic Training speaks of using chi-sao to develop balance and the proper flow of energy to maximize one's power.

Ed

How long have you been training in chi sao? It takes many months of training to even begin to get competent at it. It is definately not something that can be learned correctly with just a few lessons.

I've never really done chi sao just heard of it, which is probally my problem.

I've never really done chi sao just heard of it, which is probally my problem.

Yes that is the problem. The only way to learn is to train hard at it for a few years. If you don't have the patience for it then you might as well forget it. If you only want to learn a few trapping moves then go to a Jeet Kune Do school. They will show you techniques but not the real deal.

If you only want to learn a few trapping moves then go to a Jeet Kune Do school. They will show you techniques but not the real deal.

On the contrary, I think that the JKD school could teach you "the real deal" when it comes to trapping, but it just won't be as complex a system as it is in Wing Chun. It will still serve you well.

Well if i were to do trapping it would have to be Wing Chun anyway, there is no JKD school near me.

Thanks for the information, i'll start practicing some trapping then.

If you only want to learn a few trapping moves then go to a Jeet Kune Do school. They will show you techniques but not the real deal.

On the contrary, I think that the JKD school could teach you "the real deal" when it comes to trapping, but it just won't be as complex a system as it is in Wing Chun. It will still serve you well.

Wing Chun is not complex...it all depends on who you learn from and how much patience you have. It can be learned in a relatively short period of time if you have a good sifu. Bad Sifu's stretch it out and make it more complex than it has to be.