• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Purchasing Equipment

EmrldWepn

As with most karate studios, mine offers a regular line of sparring gear. The set I have however, I purchased out in Rochester NY (I live around Boston) over 7 years ago. As most is still in fair condition, I want to stay with the same brand and style. My studio normally doesn't carry this particular line but can order it. The rub is the fact that I know a local store that sells all sorts of martial arts gear where I can actually get it cheaper. The place was recommended to me by a former instructor (from when I was in a whole different school, so not like he was trying to undermine my current place) and I've shopped there before. I'm not sure how to play it. I know everyone says "support your school", especially when I do enjoy it, but I also know I can get this stuff around $5-10 cheaper on my own and given we're talking only about $30, thats a fair chunk of change.

(if this belongs in the equip category, I apologize. Just seemed like a general enough question that's not about gear itself)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm cheap. Go with what will save you the dough and still work well.

That being said, some schools have pretty strict rules about what kind of gear you can and can't put on the floor. I think that's a crock, but that's just me. If it meets the needs of training at a mininmal safetly level, it should be allowed. Let guys use the interenet and what else to save their money. Still, you'll want to check the regs at your school before you sink coin into gear they won't even let you use.

I like to save money, so if I can, I will. I'd go where its cheaper. If the instructor asks, I'd just be up front with him. I wouldn't necessarily be telling everyone else that "hey guys, this place is cheaper; go there..." but if you can save a bit of cash, then go for it.

Get the cheaper stuff. I buy most of my gear through the club because Shihan buys in bulk and gets discounts anyways. I think he makes a small profit from it but the convenience of it is worth it.

Some instructors require you to buy from them so they know the gear is acceptable under their insurance and safety standards. If yours is ok with what you've got I would go buy it cheap.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 1 month later...