• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

dojo decision

Ranpu

well I have a karate dojo that I can go to, I have a ride and everything, but I talked with my old karate sensei, he said that he's re-opening in the summer, so I have a choice, just keep with the dojo I'll currently be at when the time comes, or go to his again, but I'll take both if I can.

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

[W]ell I have a karate dojo that I can go to, I have a ride and everything . . .

Excellent! One door closed and another door opened. You and your friends are lucky, Ranpu.

. . . but I talked with my old karate sensei, he said that he's re-opening in the summer . . .

It's nice that you've remained on good terms, but you have a new sensei now, and he is your instructor. The summer is a long way off. Finish the winter and spring first, then after experiencing the teaching of this "new" sensei, you can make an informed decision.

o I have a choice, just keep with the dojo I'll currently be at when the time comes, or go to his again, but I'll take both if I can.

Why not concentrate on the present, which will include many months to come, and cross that "summer bridge" when you get to it?

There's no need to feel you've got to make all decisions now, Ranpu. Why pressure yourself--and your friends--about this now? Enjoy the new dojo and the new sensei's teachings, and leave the future to come on its own.

You are not being disloyal to your old sensei, which I imagine you might feel right now, over if you don't promise to return to him in mid-2009. He closed shop, and you and your friends have made a new connection. Don't be surprised if you all begin to feel quite quickly that this "new" sensei is your true teacher, and that you wish to study only under him.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yeah, if you've got the option, keep training now if it's a style and school you want to be at. When and if your old school reopens you can make a decision the,n, including taking both.

But that's a ways off and lots can happen between now and then. The re-opening might not occur at all, then you've lost the time in between now and the date that the reopening is cancelled to be on the mat.

I agree, jump in now. See where you're at when the old place re opens.

I heard about the new dojo from one of my friends that I have been training with, he called and the dojo is isshinryu mixed with kenpo I think he said, and the sensei was the one to mix them together, my old dojo is just isshinryu, so I probably will try the new one for the change, and then, I can make a decision, I also have a taekwondo dojo near by, but thats to many styles of martial arts at once for me

so I'll go with the new one, and make a decision when the old dojo reopens, so that way, it'll be easier

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

To be honest, IMO

I would stick with where you are now, your old Sensei 'closed shop' and you were forced to train with someone new. If you Old Sensei was not 'opening' again would you have considered this situation arising, I presume the answer would be NO. Remain friends with your old sensei if you can but stick with you new Sensei as you have already started on your new journey through the Ryu

PS. an issue you have to think about is, what if your Old Sensei opened shop and then closed again 12 months down the line, you'd be stuck for somewhere to train as I am sure there would be a little 'barrier' between you and your new Sensei put up due to you leaving him like so.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I agree with what all was said above take your chance on your new sensei your lucky to have found some one that teaches close to the same style that you currently train in and if like this new sensei stay with him because I agree with Dobbersky on this what if your old sensei reopens and then close again down the road.

If you like your new sensei, then stay with him. Your old sensei may open and then close the doors, leaving you without anywhere to go. You will always be able to go back to your old sensei if he remains open and your new sensei closes.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

well I have a karate dojo that I can go to, I have a ride and everything, but I talked with my old karate sensei, he said that he's re-opening in the summer, so I have a choice, just keep with the dojo I'll currently be at when the time comes, or go to his again, but I'll take both if I can.

It's none of my business, but, why did your "old karate sensei" close his Dojo in the first place? Is this the first time his Dojo's closed? What are the guarantee's that he won't close again once students have invested time and money?

I'd stay with the NEW Sensei/Style because he/she is established and besides, there's nothing wrong with learning a new style. This will able you to broden your Martial Arts base, imho.

However you choose, is up to you! Good luck, but, I'd be timid to rejoin a sensei that's closed the doors once already...but that's me.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

as far as I know he never closed before, but the reason he closed was 2 things, his wife wanted to divorce him, and with the issue of him keeping his kids, and that made it so he couldn't get any insurance for the dojo