• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

keiko osame - "Last Lesson"

Wa-No-Michi

Well, it's fast approaching that time of year again, and I just wondered how you guys (if you guys) note this in any way.

We have an annual award ceremony for best karate-ka of the year (Jr and Snr) where engraved shields are presented.

We will usually have a fun session with the kids involving fighting the seniors from the club. They love it (kids and adults that is).

This is usually followed by a meal for the seniors and a few drinks where we will look back on the years training with its ups and downs etc, and look forward to the new year of training.

Kanpai!

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is not the first time I have heard of it, and I think that something like this could do a lot for a school, as far as comaraderie goes. Do you do any kind of special class for the adults, or do a year-end review of material, a special instructor's clinic, or anything like that?

The last class before the Christmas break we'll do a good nigh of drilling, can't recall how to spell the term for the harder training. Lots of stations, lots of drills. Last year was a run to the park and then do 1,000 repetitions of techniques. All of the black belts take turns selecting and leading the class.

First night back after Christmas is an all fight night which is fun.

We do a Christmas party with the kids.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

we had a presentation night last week where were were given certificate from the previous week's grading as well as awarded some other stuff aswell. The class before the presentation night we all had to vote for the 'best and fairest' student who get a special award. I got a medal for most improved and there are other medals for "sparring" "sportsmanship" "discipline" "kata" etc. The presentation was held at a local bowling club where we had dinner and some people had a few drinks.

As far as training during the 2 weeks between our grading and christmas we just have fun doing stuff we don't normally get to do. We take suggestions before each class and go with whatever sound good.

In the last week of the year, all the lessons become like a team challenge sort of thing. So in groups you try and beat the other teams at everything, fitness relays, sparring, forms etc. Just a bit of fun really, doesn't matter who wins. We also have an adult and a separate junior Christmas party/presentation evening. Number of awards including student of the year sheild, most commited student, best tournament acheivement, most improved..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

We've never done anything like that. It's a Christmas Party kind of thing for us most of the time.

I do like the idea, though.

The last class before the Christmas break we'll do a good nigh of drilling, can't recall how to spell the term for the harder training. Lots of stations, lots of drills. Last year was a run to the park and then do 1,000 repetitions of techniques. All of the black belts take turns selecting and leading the class.

First night back after Christmas is an all fight night which is fun.

We do a Christmas party with the kids.

I believe the word you're looking for is shugyo (shoe-g-yo). It is actually a term that refers more broadly to the difficulties, trials, and tribulations a person must endure as a natural part of learning. Getting out of the comfort zone, so to speak.

More recently, it is a term used for a particularly difficult practice. I like this idea and feel it has alot of value toward teaching a person to exceed their own expectations of themselves and reach the next level.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."