• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blackbelts

So there have been a number of topics recently on various aspects of a blackbelt, but what is a blackbelt?

Regardless of style, what qualities, both physical and personal characteristics, should all blackbelts have?

For me, I think the crucial point is that they have a good knowledge of all basics, and know those techniques inside out as wellasbeing able to perform them to a competent level. Personal qualities should be general things like appropriate courtesy and integrity.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there have been a number of topics recently on various aspects of a blackbelt, but what is a blackbelt?

Regardless of style, what qualities, both physical and personal characteristics, should all blackbelts have?

For me, I think the crucial point is that they have a good knowledge of all basics, and know those techniques inside out as wellasbeing able to perform them to a competent level. Personal qualities should be general things like appropriate courtesy and integrity.

I totally agree with you here . I also believe they should conduct themselves in a professional manner. You wouldn't want one of your blackbelts acting a fool while representing your school. :karate:

Semper Fi , Dave

There are the requirements and code of conduct tenets for the style I train and then there are my personal. I'd rather give my personal views since the school regulated ones are pretty obvious.

To me, being a black belt means knowing all your basic curriculum and all requirements up until the last time you tested. Performing to the best of your ability; of course, not everyone can physically perform the same due to many reasons, but DEFINITELY giving 100% effort. Most importantly is maturity, responsibility, respect and discipline. Setting a good example to your juniors. NO ONE getting special treatment or EXPECTING special treatment in ANY of their requirements OR protocol simply because their relative or close friend owns the school. Likewise, senior ranking b.b. adhering to the rules and regulations themselves.

Also, you are representing YOUR school while at tournaments and martial arts related events so black belts should behave accordingly & adhere to tournament rules and regulations - both competitors AND judges. (all judges are high ranking black belts, btw)

Edited by Tiger1962
"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

This is a tough one; it can change for me at times, and has changed over the years. I suppose after I type this, it will change again, eventually.

I think that a black belt should be able to demonstrate every physical requirement up to the point that they have reached that the art ecompasses. Forms, one-steps, sparring concepts, etc. I also think that a black belt should not only be able to demonstrate such things, but should also be able to teach the basics of the style to new students, or be able to demonstrate and explain the hows and whys of the style to the layperson.

Although I feel that personal characteristics like integrity, courtesy, respect, and the like can be enhanced from the training of Martial Arts, I feel more so that these are things that normal, morally, ethically, and legally responsible human being should already harbor. My job is to explain to them when and where it is morally, legally, and ethically adequate to use their skills. A black belt should be able to demonstrate this knowledge, as well.

I think a black belt should be able to defend themselves if need be, as well, and should have a good working knowledge of self-defense. I don't think that they need to be prepared to fight in a competition of any kind, however, a level of physical fitness should be adhered to, as well.

Last of all, I would expect a black belt to be an ambassador of their school/club, and to think about what they do, and how it may reflect upon their school/club. With rank, does come responsibility.

Just my views (and it's a great thread by the way)-

It should obviously mark a very high level of skill in the movements of a given art. The student should understand the principles and goals of what he's doing and be able to apply them againt resistance. That means understanding the "why" as well as the "how".

Also, I think it should mark somewhere between 4-6 years of commitment to what they are doing.

I agree that a black belt should be able to teach to a certain level, that which he knows. This should not be the focus of the bb exam, but a part of it.

I think too, that the bb candidate should be able to adaquately defend him/herself using the movements from the systems from a resonable attack series. I think this should be at a very high level of realism.

As for the personal attributes, I don't focus much on them, simply becuause by the time someone is to that level you've probibly weeded out the guys that are going to be long term problems for the school. They tend to leave ealier rather than later.

I'd also like to see a basic understanding of where the arts came from, how they developed and would like the student to have his own opinion of where they should go. I also think that a detailed study of anotther art is important here so he can begin to understand different outlooks on combat.

This last one is mine and mine alone and dosn't account for the rest of the organization I'm part of. I want them to have a basic understanding of the care, use and safety of firearms. But I see things thru a combative lens and think that to ignore such a prevalent and effective weapon in the modern era is a mistake.

As for the personal attributes, I don't focus much on them, simply becuause by the time someone is to that level you've probibly weeded out the guys that are going to be long term problems for the school. They tend to leave ealier rather than later.

Spot on tg - this is the way I tend to look at it as well.

Appropriate technical ability and knowledge (both practical and theoretical) is what should be the deciding factor as to whether someone passes or fails a dan grade examination.

[Edit] of course correct protocol should be used as well.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I think a black belt practitioner should be able to teach and be teachable. He/she should be have respect for all who he/she comes in contact and carry themselves in a manner that allow others to respect them. A black belt truly is only a piece of fabric around the waist of someone who has little respect and compassion for those around them. It is a symbol worn around the waist of someone who best represents themselves, their instructor, and their school.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

to be blackbelt simply means that you know the basics of the art. You should always have the same conduct whether your a white belt or a black belt. A representation of the belt means only that you know what you are doing. But the true martial artist can act like a black belt even if he or she is a white belt.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Simply put, a Black Belt is a white belt who never quit.

In our school we hold character development over technique and technique as merely a tool to develop good character. The main character traits we encourage in Black Belts are perseverance, dedication, discipline, honor, respect and courtesy. We also look for a couple of character traits which do not always translate well to English so I will give the Japanese, fudoshin (indomitable spirit) and konjo (intestinal fortitude)

Also, we not only feel that Black Belt should denote a high level of expertise, but it should also be a reward and right of passage. This is why we do not offer a “junior” Black Belt as is so popular these days. Although there are many very talented and deserving children out there, we prefer to hold the rank of Black Belt to 16 years old or more to maintain this as a goal and right of passage for our youngsters.

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)

Simply put, a Black Belt is a white belt who never quit.

In our school we hold character development over technique and technique as merely a tool to develop good character. The main character traits we encourage in Black Belts are perseverance, dedication, discipline, honor, respect and courtesy. We also look for a couple of character traits which do not always translate well to English so I will give the Japanese, fudoshin (indomitable spirit) and konjo (intestinal fortitude)

Also, we not only feel that Black Belt should denote a high level of expertise, but it should also be a reward and right of passage. This is why we do not offer a “junior” Black Belt as is so popular these days. Although there are many very talented and deserving children out there, we prefer to hold the rank of Black Belt to 16 years old or more to maintain this as a goal and right of passage for our youngsters.

Nicely put Seija and welcome to the forums. Always good to have another Wado-ka on board.

A comment on another thread has made me go hmm!! and I think this is a good place to discuss it.

He did it although it took 2 attempts. He was nervous about this all day and just blew it on the first attempt

In my group, if you make a mistake or forget a kata due to nerves for example, its an instant fail. You don't get another chance on the day, in fact you have to wait at least 6 months before you are allowd to re-take.

This is because Dan gradings are as much about strength of character (as Seija says) as they are technique.

If you dont know your material well enough, and or can not manage the nerves, you are not ready to grade imo. You don't get another chance in a fight after all.

What do you guys think?

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk