• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sine waves

Wow and i thought Chinese martial arts was convoluted

So what is TKD apart from the different Orgs And how are the kicks different what is the Philosophy behind the two orgs

In layman's terms theres Karate with some northern kung fu thrown in am i wrong just really trying to grips with this art and to see if there is depth as I cant see a 10th dan 80 -90 years old doing a jump split kick with out having hip problems lol

:lol: TKD history is really confusing. Essentially, all TKD is is just a group of unarmed fighting styles that grew up out of the Japanese occupation of Korea. But if you want to look into it further try searching for something on the kwans and their histories.

For the example of the roundhouse earlier, ITF use a chamber more or less from the side and bring it round and in, from what I've seen and been told (someone may have to correct me on this), the WTF chamber tends to be more forward facing.

I'm only able to speak from my own experiences with ITF, but there is so much depth to it. Relatively speaking there are very few jumping kicks in comparison to hand techniques and normal leg techniques. It also gets incredibly technical the more you look into it and there'squite a bit of philosophy if you choose to read up on it. Once you get to around 6th dan you're not really assessed on your physical abilities anymore anyway, and more on your knowledge and what you've done to further TKD. However you'd be surprised at what some of the older masters can do. A lot of them can still do jumping kicks..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never done the sine wave in my TKD practice, and from what I have seen of it, I don't care for it. There are claims that it adds power, but I have never seen an ITF form performance that I regarded as powerful. Perhaps I have just not seen enough, but it appears to me that the sine wave is overused, and it kills the continuity of the performance of the hyung.

I am reading a book right now called The Tae Guek Cipher, and I really liked the section it had on the history of the Kwans. You might look into it for a reference. TKD has influences from Karate and Chinese MAs, Chuan Fa being the most prominent, I believe.