• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Leg kicks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They have always been allowed in all the schools where I trained. That's because they are a great self defense tool.

Should sport rules let them in? Probably not. Sport point fighting is meant to be a game. It would be an extremely fast game if leg kicks were allowed. A decent leg kick is virtually unavoidable. So you would either end up with three quick kicks ending the match or two opponents that won't engage because they're too weary of the leg kick.

I don't, however, see a problem with it in continuous point fighting (there is no break to call points). A person may give up a leg kick to get a couple good shots in. It could be a more fair exchange.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Leg kicks probably have no reason to be in point sparring. Im not very fond of point sparring to begin with, but nontheless many of the rules are implemented to encourage more of a spectator sport- extra points for kicks to the head and so forth. Its kinda like how Judo doesnt reward anything for a double leg takedown if your opponent doesnt fall to his back. Its a takedown, but not pleasing to the crowd.

As far as the risk of injury- the knee is strong joint, despite its horrid design. Its not going to fall apart the moment it gets kicked and I think far too many people (who obviously dont practice leg kicks) invest too much stock in the whole "break his knee with a knee kick" thing.

So point sparring? No, not in my opinion. Full contact like WCL or whatnot- its horrible that its not allowed, but its karate- not muay thai.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO there are just too many people out there who don't understand the meaning of the phrase "controlled technique" in point sparring. For that reason alone I think leg kicks really don't belong in point sparring.

Leg sweeps, however, as long as you strike your opponent at ankle level or below for the purpose of upsetting his balance - are just fine.

I don't have a problem with groin kicks either. Hey, wear your cup! I can assure you that every young man who spars my teenage daughter in karate class ends up getting his cup checked by a front snap kick before the fight is over. Yeah, I could tell you several amusing stories related to that.

Face contact and head shots . . . well, that's a subject for another thread.

If a fight is unavoidable hit first, hit hard, and hit the road.

I don't have a problem with groin kicks either. Hey, wear your cup! I can assure you that every young man who spars my teenage daughter in karate class ends up getting his cup checked by a front snap kick before the fight is over. Yeah, I could tell you several amusing stories related to that.

I would very hesitant to allow that. Although we spar "semi-contact" you get hit pretty hard, I know a guy who accidently took a kick to the groin and his cup cracked. Also if you catch it sideways it can be pretty nasty too. Us women don't like get kicked there either!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I would very hesitant to allow that. Although we spar "semi-contact" you get hit pretty hard, I know a guy who accidently took a kick to the groin and his cup cracked. Also if you catch it sideways it can be pretty nasty too. Us women don't like get kicked there either!

I second that it hurts pretty bad, I seem to always get hit there when I do a side kick on some one, that might be why side kicks are not my favorite kick, lol.

I think that it has to be done safetly and with the proper gear, but it does have to be done from time to time. Like any other skill, it needs practice to hone and maintain.

I don't think you need to use it every sparring session, nor should you ever do heavy contact there in training, but it does need to be practiced.

Years ago, when my dad was a TKD tournament competitor, groin kicks were allowed, hands to the head were allowed, and sweeps followed by a ground attack were allowed. Its all a different ball game now. I think that those rules would really open up a lot more options for fighters, and would perhaps level out the playing field a bit against fighters with height differences.

It's funny that this question was raised, in that I was in a discussion (I'm trying to remember which forum) in which it was advised to me that a good kicker is one whose kicks are effective, that they don't have to be high to be "good" kicks.

This is true. I was also told by my instructor & several other m.a.-ists that this is true.

I think that, so long as no one's aiming for knees, a tournament should honor leg (thigh) kicks.

I also agree again, (because what about people who aren't TALL), however, different m.a. styles dictate what's allowed and what isn't allowed at tournaments. (as everyone probably knows already anyway). Mostly, at the "open" tournaments - almost anything goes.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert