• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mushin in Modern Combatives

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This would be a good thing to take note of. The more you can really idetify that you were "feeling" movement the more I think that you're moving past rote memorization and into that "flow" stage.

An interesting note, when you really hit that state well, you'll probibly only have a hazy recollection on what SPECIFIC movments you used. It will probibly be a more general idea of what you think you did. It's usuall eaiser to walk back thru to get it back in your head. When this is happening, it's a real good indicator that you were deep in the "flow" stage.

I did have to take a guy down at work this October, and I didn't think about what I needed to do when taking him down. I did notice an opportunity to block the guy's foot, to facilitate the takedown as we were going, and took the opportunity to do so - worked like a charm.

I turned the guy to face the wall, and he then spun to face me; the throw was on from there.

On the mark Tg.

B96 if you focus on how things feel, especially complete encounters / a complete sparring, rather than trying to visualize / look for separate moves you'll get to mushin. As Tg points out, within mushin you really won't recollect what you did very well. More the action intiates and the other fellow hits the ground. If you're still picking out specific bits of the fight, then odds are good you're still in the 'combinations' stage of things. No dis-respect intended, no mysticism implied, just an observation. Glad to hear you emerged safe from the altercation :D

Be careful out there, my friend.