• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"One Punch One Kill" Concept

Many Karate Ka believe in this concept by training single hard blows against the Makiwara and by performing pre arranged sparing with single technqiue counters with strong Kiai's.

Do you think it is possible to always rely on this for a self defence situation. (I know it is possible to hit in the right places and cause serious damage, but who actually wants to hurt or kill people and get thrown in jail.)

https://www.markstraining.com Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting wording. I'd observe tbat, by definition, a self defense situation presumes the OTHER fellow is the attacker and what you would like / dislike hasn't been considered in the decision. Thus, whether YOU don't want to hurt someone else, deal with aftermath issues, etc is somewhat irrelevant. Long-winded way of saying "You don't argue philosophy with a man who has a .45 pointed at your head. You take him out and, if he survives, then you discuss the motivations of his improper behavior." :D

Thus, striving for one punch one kill capability makes operational sense, even if unachievable in all cases, as it limits the operational risk one has in the defense situation. This doesn't imply that one must always use this capability, just that one should strive to have the capability.

My two cents. :wink:

I like to say, anything worth hitting is worth hitting hard.

That being said, the reality of actually disabling an attacker with a single shot might be fairly unlikley. I'd never count on it nor would I train to persume that any single movement stopped them. If it happens, great, you've over trained- good for you. But I'd never mentally prepare myself to every stop after a single strike of any kind.

Even firearms traininig is conducted, in large part, under the idea of shooting until the threat is eliminated. I think the same concept translates well to unarmed defense. You hit till the bad guy goes down. At that point, you need to stop. It's that key that keeps you from switching form being the defender in an altercation to being just another guy arrested for battery.

So in concept, as Jone said, training for that kind of power is great. Howeever, mentally training for such an occurance (as to expect it) invites disatster and an state of under preparedness.

Theres simply not enough evidence to support the "one punch one kill" concept. The best punchers in the world are boxers, and even when going against complete amatuers, they rarely ko with one hit (usually a quick combination will do the trick though).

Under concepts of self defense, on the other hand, you're not so much looking to ko your attacker as much as you are looking to escape the situation. In this respect, you hit your attacker hard enough to make him go on the defensive (ie put his hands up, take a step back from you, etc) albeit for only a second. This is all you need to begin to run and remove yourself from the situation. In this respect, it CAN work, but why rely on something that only works part of the time?

I agree with the general consensus here. I think it is good to train a technique like you want to take someone out with one shot. However, you have to also train to chain all of your one-hit-wonders together, just in case it doesn't work.

Theres simply not enough evidence to support the "one punch one kill" concept. . . .

Under concepts of self defense, on the other hand, you're not so much looking to ko your attacker as much as you are looking to escape the situation.

If we take "one punch one kill" less literally, it follows Jim's second paragraph, quoted above. It can be "one punch one kill the situation."

If you can do this, choose it.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I think too many have taken it to mean that single techniques are the way to end the encounter. I always looked at it somewhere close to tallgeese, if your going to bother hitting something, hit hard. I always had it drilled into me to throw every technique like it was the last thing I was going to have the chance to do in a fight, even in combination. All you get is the jab, so jab hard straight and fast(and on target). All you get is the cross, so throw it hard, straight and fast etc.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Continuously strike untill your opponent is unable to fight back. If the first strike did it that's better yet.

I agree that you can end a fight with one strike but don't rely on one strike.

What works works

Many Karate Ka believe in this concept by training single hard blows against the Makiwara and by performing pre arranged sparing with single technqiue counters with strong Kiai's.

Do you think it is possible to always rely on this for a self defence situation. (I know it is possible to hit in the right places and cause serious damage, but who actually wants to hurt or kill people and get thrown in jail.)

I think it's important to train powerful blows. If one could kill with one blow then you would also need to train self control which is the other end of the art.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"