• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alteration with an eye toward preservation

That's not a bad idea. Very interesting in the least.

I'd think that in some way you'd have to keep some "core time" to continue in keeping up with the skills that was your skills bread and butter so to speak. You could also use this time to review what'd you'd done in other blocks from time to time. That way you're skills aren't getting rusty from on bout of training them to the next.

Still, it's an idea that bears looking into. And it would help create a very good enviornemt to cross train in.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A lot of good answrs, some I think I would steal.

In a way, regressing to what was trained, with an eye on the modern is a good thing. Partner training used to be heavily involved in karate training, as well as makawari striking. The up date is to use partner work and focus mit, bag and shield work. Empty air striking can teach you a lot about cleaning up technique where your not worried about hitting hard so much that you screw up, but you polish the mechanics. However, if you don't hit something that resists, you'll never really understand rooting and power generation. With a partner, you learn to have sensitivity, judge distance and timing. All things you need to improve combative ability.

In weapons training I would concentrate on stick/club, knife and gun. Not only to defend against these weapons, but to have at least the basics covered on their use. The more you understand those capabilities, the better you are able to stop them and to know what their limitations of attack are when you are faced with them.

I'd go beyond the normal partner training to do one vs. multiples on a regular basis, working toward a spontainious responce and adaptation in a variety of situations. Threat awareness would be paramount here.

I'd also look at the way things are taught in the basic techniques. I'd keep them in place. But, I'd look at the applications of things to see what the body movement does and what is can be used for. Like using the low block to hammer down into the thigh instead of smashing the bones of the forearm into the shin of a kick. Or the way the high block comes up and covers the face as a flinch reflex. Once you deconstruct the movements, you see what they do best, no matter what you were taught they were for initially, or how they are supposed to work. Don't radically alter the movements, teach them correctly, gave a basic explaination of how they work for beginners and expand on that basis as they start understanding application.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

That's not a bad idea. Very interesting in the least.

I'd think that in some way you'd have to keep some "core time" to continue in keeping up with the skills that was your skills bread and butter so to speak. You could also use this time to review what'd you'd done in other blocks from time to time. That way you're skills aren't getting rusty from on bout of training them to the next.

Still, it's an idea that bears looking into. And it would help create a very good enviornemt to cross train in.

Yes, I would maintain the "core time" in which the curriculum of the style would remain; forms, one-steps, etc. Then, in my ideal world, the blocks would be established, and then rotate, so the ground fighting block would rotate around every 3 months or so. Something like that.

I'd also look at the way things are taught in the basic techniques. I'd keep them in place. But, I'd look at the applications of things to see what the body movement does and what is can be used for. Like using the low block to hammer down into the thigh instead of smashing the bones of the forearm into the shin of a kick. Or the way the high block comes up and covers the face as a flinch reflex. Once you deconstruct the movements, you see what they do best, no matter what you were taught they were for initially, or how they are supposed to work. Don't radically alter the movements, teach them correctly, gave a basic explaination of how they work for beginners and expand on that basis as they start understanding application.

I like this approach, too. I did this in a class with the knife hand strike that we use in basics, using the chamber motion as a cover to an attack to the head, possibly seizing the attacking arm (in a perfect world), and then the attack with the strike.

Edited by bushido_man96

The block time concept is pretty progressive, bushido man. Have you considered approaching your instructors/oweners with the idea. Maybe for a select class of advanced/senior students?

No, I haven't tallgeese. Perhaps I'll mention it. Who knows, it might help to bring in new students. I know that I could take a block and give them some Combat Hapkido experience, and perhaps even work in some Aikido with one of the other students.

We don't have a lot available around here, but I know we could work into something. We'll see if the instructor will be very willing to listen. Like I said, "if it were my school..."

• 3 weeks later...
I have a question that I haven't come up with an answer to on my end just yet. Well into the theoretic realm.

If you were put in charge of the cirriculum of your school how would you change things. Your two goals are as follows; increase the combative nature of the average lesson and increase the combative effectiveness of the average student. Second, do not alter the style so much that it loses core consistancey or can no longer be identified as the original system. You can change things, but in the end, Shotokan should still be Shotokan as an example. And anyone familiar with the system should readily see it.

Great question...and some good answers too!

I would have my students work on blocking drills, first stage being just getting the technique down, second stage in practicing blocks while mobile, until they are second nature. Then I would add one-step drills, in the same stages. Once the one-steps are second nature then they can be practically applied in a mobile situation to help in an actual combat situation.

If most dojo's that I've visited trained like most Aikido schools do (application wise, I mean, after the technique is learned), then I think they would really prosper more than some do that I've seen. Sparring isn't always the best place to work your one-steps in to because most street fights don't run the way sparring runs. Sometimes, in my opinion, sparring actually hurts the students advancement rather than helping.

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation