• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Choose another style to cross train in

If you could cross-train in one other style, what would it be? and why?

Doesn't have to be anything that compliments what you currently train (but it can be if you want), just an MA style that you've always wanted to try and have a go at.

I've always wanted to pick up a weapon style so something like Iaido would be cool.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great question.

It kind of depends where I'm at when I get the time to dig deep into a system again.

If it's the near future, I'd probibly check out krav pretty hard. Lots of it's movements look very similar to what we do already, but I'd like to see how it's put together, to find out what's different and how it works. I'm also very interested in their weapons training. Very modern.

If it's down the road a bit, like when I can't do the things I'm doing now as hard, It'd probibly some form of pressure point work. Probibly back to what used to be Ruy-kyu kempo (I understand they've changed the name now) since that's what most of my small joint manip. is rooted in.

That's probiblly my choices. I think the idea of a sword art (again, when I'm kind of done with the beatings thing) would be pretty cool, but I can't see myself with the traditional sense to hang in with those classes, they are pretty formal.

If I could, I'd add JuJitsu (or JuJutsu). My main interest is in joint locks, seconded by takedowns. I recall one posting that said something to the effect of "JuJitsu can be brutal" when talking about a joint technique. I'm not into grappling, though I appreciate my instructor's inclusion of it into some of our Soo Bahk Do class sessions, but into the takedown itself, and I'm glad my art contains some joint locks, though I've already practiced a "customized" version of two of them.

What stops me is time, and the commitments I have take up a lot of time--and energy. I know I'm not alone. I'll bet a number of forum members would love to study all or part of this or that art as well as their own, but adults and many teens have a time crunch due to commitments.

That's life! :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Currently I'm a brown belt of guju ryu karate. I've took a peek at the other arts and styles but I guess I like stuff like choi le fut the best. Mainly arm work because I'm mainly an arms person. Also I'm am very stiff so i guess arts like choi le fut or hung kun is best for me, but hey if you have any arts perfect for the stiff guys feel free to reply

Without a doubt, I'd say Shaolin style Kung Fu. There's a couple others I'm interested in also, but this one has always been tops on my list to learn. Hopefully I can make it happen.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Submission wrestling, if anything just learn proper sprawling and I need to have ground fighting or I will feel sad. CURSE YOU DOUBLE LEG!!!! :kaioken:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...