• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts Seminars

Anyone attend any martial arts seminars? If so, what were they teaching? Did you like it?

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Only attended TKD seminars so far. Have one with our association master every year. Attended seminars by GM Choi Jung Hwa (Gen. Choi Hong Hi's son) and did a 3 day IIC with M Hwang Ho Yong VII (known as the "flying" master because of the photos he did for Gen. Choi's book, he's also technical director for the Czech Republic). Would like to do some more if I get the opportunity and hopefully attend some non-TKD ones too.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Back when our association was more active in promoting such things we'd have a pretty good one every year or so. Everyone would come and teach on thier speciality. Lot's of things were familiar since we all came from the same source. It was still good training and I've held on to some of the stuff I learned there for years.

I've also gotten the chance from time to time to go to seminars from organizations radically different. Aikido come to mind, the Phillipine arts, ect. Some were better than others, I can say that they are a great way to get exposure to things that you don't normally do and expand your knowlege base and get a feel for other things you might want to try.

I ended up in a couple of shoot seminars back in the day that started me into competeing in that areas, which would lead to my mma days. So I can say that at some level they radically altered my ma career.

I've still go some on my list to look into down the line.

Gone to a couple. One with a very famous preasure point person who was somewhat disappointing. Other with Bruce Chu and Leon Jay along with Jack Hogan that was all day and very good in both content and people. Time with Gokor before a tournament where I wish he'd been out partying a little less and started earlier. Really good grappling stuff.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Earlier this year, I went to a Weapon Retention and Control seminar, and a Ground Defense seminar, both of which were put on by our state Law Enforcement Training Center. They were a lot of fun, and I learned a lot, especially in the Ground Defense class. A month or so before that, I attended our TKD org's annual Black Belt Seminar, which was a really big workout, really. It was still a good time, though. Most recently, I attended an Aikido seminar, and since attending that seminar, I joined the Aikido club that our University has.