• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Junior Black Belt

Our org had some age limits, too. But they changed when the GMs kids got to where they had the time in to test, but not the age yet. Nepotism.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At our dojo we have a a junior black belt. They use a solid black as a normal shodan does. But the catch is they have diffrent requirements than the adults. Also in the catch to recieve full adult black belt status they have to complete the requirements of the adult black belt test including teching time and additional kata. At sixteen they are then allowed test for full shodan rank. Basically it sucks for them because they basicaly have to take two black belt tests.

Also in the catch to recieve full adult black belt status they have to complete the requirements of the adult black belt test including teching time and additional kata. At sixteen they are then allowed test for full shodan rank. Basically it sucks for them because they basicaly have to take two black belt tests.

This is one of the reasons that I would tend to shy away from the junior rank, and it has bothered me in the past. I can't see a reason to test someone twice for the same rank.

Now, if the requirements are a bit different, then I can understand things a bit more. But, if this is the case, then what is the difference between this junior rank, and an adult rank of the same requirements, that is a colored belt? Why not just make them both wear colored belts?

Our Jr. BB's may test up to 2nd dan but no further until they reach 16. They then test into the next rank as an adult-the requirements are the same by then. The Jr's wear a Poom Belt-fully embroidered with name and dan ranking; the adults a solid black belt-also embroidered. Also, all black belts regardless of age wear a Black Collared uniform.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Also in the catch to recieve full adult black belt status they have to complete the requirements of the adult black belt test including teching time and additional kata. At sixteen they are then allowed test for full shodan rank. Basically it sucks for them because they basicaly have to take two black belt tests.

This is one of the reasons that I would tend to shy away from the junior rank, and it has bothered me in the past. I can't see a reason to test someone twice for the same rank.

Now, if the requirements are a bit different, then I can understand things a bit more. But, if this is the case, then what is the difference between this junior rank, and an adult rank of the same requirements, that is a colored belt? Why not just make them both wear colored belts?

I think this is really the main problem with it. You either have two different sets of requirements, so two belt levels, i.e. junior and adult blackbelt. In this case you'd have to test the juniors again on the adult standard if they wanted to become a "full" blackbelt.

Or you have the same requirements which doesn't quite justify the use of junior ranking IMO. If they had to test the same why should their belt be worth less?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

That's why our syllibus is diffferent for both. There actually is a very clear difference between what is learned at a "junior" level and an adult level. Otherwise it is hard to explain the difference, other than age (which might not be invald at all in my mind). Still, it's much easier to justify if there are different requirements.

Once a junior bb is achieved, the student can begin training in the more combative aspects that he missed (if he's deemed mature enough). Then he can test for bb again at an adult level. Yes, it's two tests, but it's also two sets of cirriculum.

I think this is really the main problem with it. You either have two different sets of requirements, so two belt levels, i.e. junior and adult blackbelt. In this case you'd have to test the juniors again on the adult standard if they wanted to become a "full" blackbelt.

quote]

There two sets of requirements to a point. The adults have more complex kata requirements and more in number, should have a indepth understanding of techinque. Also the techinques are more in number. Pyschical requirements are different. Kids are taught a great deal of the same techinques because of safety reasons. Some kids just aren't responcable enough to learn joint locks, chokes, and throws envoling joint locks. So yes two different sets of requirements for adults and kids.

That's why our syllibus is diffferent for both. There actually is a very clear difference between what is learned at a "junior" level and an adult level. Otherwise it is hard to explain the difference, other than age (which might not be invald at all in my mind). Still, it's much easier to justify if there are different requirements.

Once a junior bb is achieved, the student can begin training in the more combative aspects that he missed (if he's deemed mature enough). Then he can test for bb again at an adult level. Yes, it's two tests, but it's also two sets of cirriculum.

You gave us a brief overview of the differences between your junior and adult ranks, but can you give us more of an idea of what the junior curriculum includes? The adult curriculum? I'd like to see the differences.

I'll throw out an example of some stuff at yellow belt.

For adult-

basic stikes

jab, cross, eye gouge, elbows, knees

front kick (targets to include groin), round kick, shin kick (MT), side kick, side stomping kick

hooking parry, coverage blocking, sensu parry

angle drills with strikes, agaist opponant, targets, spontaneous reaction to one of four predetemined attacks.

break falls

rolls

basic joint escapes

basic small joint manipulation (locks)

stances

movement, and such.

Now, the junior level of the same-

basic strikes jab, cross, elbows

front kick, round kick, side kick (no groin targets)

hooking block, coverage block

angle drills, against opponant only. Mitt drills seperate, not spontaneous componants

break falls

rolls

basic joint escapes

stances

movements and such (there are a set of katas that some of our school uses at the junior level, I can't say that I do)

That a basic list of stuff. The differences will get more pronounced as the ranks get higher. Some things and targets are left out entirely, some are held off until later.

A big componant that is left out is the heavy stress on mindset that is a focus during the adult ranks. Weapons defenses are started much later in training and offensive weaponry is not taught.

Hope that helps.