• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to display your belt...

I guess so :roll: but that's a really weird reason to do it. Isn't it?

I teach it that way because my teacher taught me that way...I think we all do this, just in this case it involves the uniform instead of how the kata is done.

I am a bit confused :blush:. Can you explain the last part of your sentence, as I am struggling to understand "how the kata is done."

:)

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was simply pointing out that many school perform kata differently because "my teacher said it was this way", so I see no reason why not to wear my belt a bit 'different' for the same reason.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

• 3 weeks later...

Stripes or tips go on the right at our Dojo. Your obi should be even with the proper knot as well.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

This kinda goes under the discipline we have. Everything has a reason behind to the help the student learn. Like stripes ours was on the left.

Gi top was also a issue, right side first then left side over top. ( I saw alot that never knew how to put a top on ).

Some even learned how to hide the flap from the obi exposing in the back to make it look like one belt.

Gi top was also a issue, right side first then left side over top. ( I saw alot that never knew how to put a top on ).

If they did it the other way round it would suggest they were dead, as this how the garment is presented on corpse.

So always best to get that bit right. :)

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

If they did it the other way round it would suggest they were dead, as this how the garment is presented on corpse.

So always best to get that bit right. :)

Are you Japanese...your customs of Japanese tradition is very HIGH....wow haha.

In my school the Obi is amongst the highest regard.

Knots must be "perfect", tied lengths on both sides should be EXACTLY the same, Kanji, Hangul, or Arabic must be on the right sides we do not use stripes so nothing should be on the belt unless your a black belt or a red belt, the lettering has to be gold for black belts and black for red belts, we use a double wrap belt so it cannot criss cross it must look like it is just one belt, if that is not correct than 50-100 knuckle push ups will be administered...my teacher says that in the older days during the knuckle push ups you will be paddled on the rear end with bamboo sticks...YOUCH!....but luckily we are in a more of a ..."softer" environment now.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

can't help you guys here, after shodan, we do not receive stripes on our belt at all. The only difference is beyond nidan the tasuki-sabaki (the cord we tie around our shoulders to keep our sleeves from getting in the way during kenjutsu) goes from black to red, and you then have the option of wearing a white hakama.

can't help you guys here, after shodan, we do not receive stripes on our belt at all. The only difference is beyond nidan the tasuki-sabaki (the cord we tie around our shoulders to keep our sleeves from getting in the way during kenjutsu) goes from black to red, and you then have the option of wearing a white hakama.

Although not observed by my Itto Ryu group, I undestand that in some Koryu groups up to a certain level you must wear darker hakama than top.

After you have reached this grade you can wear matching Hakama and top (My Senseis does and his is very dark blue).

At the very highest level, the sensei can wear lighter Hakama than top.

Cooool!

Although not observed by my Itto Ryu group, I undestand that in some Koryu groups up to a certain level you must wear darker hakama than top.

After you have reached this grade you can wear matching Hakama and top (My Senseis does and his is very dark blue).

At the very highest level, the sensei can wear lighter Hakama than top.

Cooool!

hmm, interesting. I don't even know if thats how it really works for us. Throughout 10th to 4th kyu we wear standard belts/white judo gi.

at 4th kyu you have to pass your kenjutsu test, and you can then wear your green tasuki.

Shodans wear black top, black hakama, and black tasuki

After that they usually wear white tops, black hakama, and red tasuki

Our former top student, who went on to open a Shiden'issen Jujutsu school in Phoenix. I remember he used to like wearing a white top, white hakama, and red tasuki.... but I was pretty new then, and don't know what rank dan he was.