• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to display your belt...

When you tie your belt does your school follow a certain etiquette?

I've always learned my stripes to be on the left, and I seem to be the only one who has ever thought that way. Apparently in our school it's not a capital sin, however I tend to tell students that stripes go on the left. My instructor smiles when he hears this. I think one of his daughters said the same thing, so I think I learned it from her! :lol:

Our Junior Black Belt rank is a belt that's horizontally split between black and red. Our head instructor's daughter actually started the rule that is followed that the black stripe is on top when the belt is tied as it's a "step closer to black belt".

How about your school? Any rules? I've never heard of organizations like the WTF or ITF so I don't have any idea about how other schools tie their belts. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the school I went to, the only belts with the strips were "lil' dragons" the childs classes, but the belts were split horizontaly in the middle so there were no sides, we were never though any specific way of tieing oue belt, but I remember my sensei's strip for his black belt was always on his left too

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

In our school, rank stripes are displayed on the left. As for etiquette, if you need to adjust your obi, kyu ranks turn and face the back on one knee and fix the gi/obi. Dan ranks turn to the front on one knee and do the same.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

No real protocol at all that I'm aware of, just try to tie the knot right.

Humerous story, another that I have yet to live down, I had been training alot (as has become custom for me) to train in shorts/t quite a bit prior to my bb test. Well, I show up to this thing and walk out of the dressing room with my belt tied wrong. One of the lower grades had to bring it to my attention so I could go fix it :) .

Main thing is that the knot has to be correct so it hangs properly and both ends have to be the same length. Coloured belts are the same both ends but for black belt, one end of the belt has "Taekwon-Do" written on it and this has to go on the right. The other end has your dan stripes and usually your name and this is on the left. Don't think its a rule as such but the writing usually faces outwards (so you can actually read it). We also have belts that go around the waist once rather than the double wrap that is more common.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Stripes go to the left and yes the belt knot has to be a certain way but I don't have any idea how to verbalize that - :lol: - sorry !

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Stripes go to the left and yes the belt knot has to be a certain way but I don't have any idea how to verbalize that - :lol: - sorry !

I always thought the knot to look like a fortune cookie. That is how I teach new students to tie the belt.:lol:

I always thought the knot to look like a fortune cookie. That is how I teach new students to tie the belt.:lol:

That's it !!! :lol: :D

For the life of me, I could not remember the word or visual !!!

Thanks for the memory jog !! :D

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

We have stripes on both sides of the belt, so we can't use that as a guide.

However, school name goes on the left, and our name goes on the right side. Double wrapped, square knot tie.

people put to much emphasis on the gi and the obi, who cares as long as your knot is tied right. Just put the Obi on and train!!!.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.