• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

goranashi

crow

This is really getting to me now...does anybody know the Japanese meaning of this command(probably spelled wrong I know)? My Sensei tells me it means (to perform kata) without count. I'm studying Japanese and would like to know the kanji if possible.

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
This is really getting to me now...does anybody know the Japanese meaning of this command(probably spelled wrong I know)? My Sensei tells me it means (to perform kata) without count. I'm studying Japanese and would like to know the kanji if possible.

Thanks

Crow, you're very close!

The phrase that you're seeking is Gorei nashi. Gorei is "counting/to act on command" and Nashi is "without/no," therefore, "Execute Kata without command."

Very important part of Kata training. It's one thing to give the students verbal counting cues while learning/performing Kata. It's a whole new world, at first, for students to not have those verbal counts in Kata learning/training. This, Gorei nashi, forces the student out of their comfort zone, and into relying on their own focus, timing, breathing, techniques, rhythm, speed, and stop/start to name just a few. All of this is related to it, Kata, being proper in its execution. Other commands that would compliment Gorei nashi are, Mo Ichido, which is "Repeat." The other would be Mo Ikkae, which is "Do it again."

I can write Gorei nashi in Kanji, but, I don't have that type of software on my computer to assist you with that; sorry!

Hopefully I've been of some assistance to you.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

At our classes, we say it the easy way; in English...."your form, your count." Then we say sijak.

I know, I'm not any fun, using English....:D

"Without count", is good way to put it. Principle being (as sensei8 mentions), is not to be restricted to someone else's timing - be that of your instructor (in order to teach you the kata (by the number as it were)), or your peers.

You have to make the kata your own, and make it "live" as oposed to "igata".

And welcome to the forum crow.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Crow, this Kanji, 号令無し, IS Gorei nashi. You're right on the money!

号 = "Go" This, in the context of this sentence, is "A Number/Issue/Title"

令 = "Rei" This, in the context of this sentence, is "An Order/Rule/Instruction/Directive"

無し = "Nashi [de]" This, in the context of this sentence, is "Without []/With no []/Nothing/Nil"

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

So does the "go" have two syllables? (as in "gou") because that would make sense to me...sorry about being totally anal :)

hey bushido_man96, I'm lucky, i study japanese, but i can imagine it can be a bit daunting for others...what is sijak btw?

Thanks Wa-No-Michi, and congratulations!!! this might seem a little far out, but do you think it's still 'your own' if you're imagining opponents? I'm just 5th kyu so am only starting to think about such things :P

sort of white owl, sijak means "start", you can use it to start a sparring bout too. For "in your own time" we would use the Korean "kuryong-op-she" (not too sure on the spelling). Other schools may be different...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius