• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So why did you start training - what keeps you going?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you don't like the reasons that you started for, at least they got you started...:)

That IS extremely true.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

I got started when I was about 12 years old. My sensei was forming a program to get disadvantaged kids off the street. He was teaching for free, and he needed students to get a government grant to get things going. I wasn't a troubled child, but we were very poor. I was kinda a geek in school, but got picked on alot. I didn't take Karate to learn how to fight (I already knew now to handle myself...I'm small, but fierce.) I took Karate to build my confidence. Being a nerdy kid from a poor family, I hated myself.

After a few years, my sensei's funding fell through. Reluctantly, he had to shut down the school. I was a bout 15. I joined the army at age 17. In the army, we have to learn the army style of fighting. Its based loosely on BJJ, with some striking thrown it. My unit sent a few soldiers down to Ft. Benning to get qualified to instruct, so they taught us once a week. I did that for three years. I got off active duty in december.

When I got back, I decided to look up my sensei. He is trying to start up his new school, and was glad to see me. He asked me to help him re-start, and he'd teach me for free like he used to.

He had to break away from the US Chito-ryu federation to go non-profit. As such, he's missed out on many promotions and opportunities. However, since the Chito-ryu federation went through a civil war, they've decided to recognise the ranks of his students. It makes it more official.

Officially, we're Chitose-Kai. We're pretty much a Chito-ryu school, but we couldn't go by Chito-ryu because when he first started the federation wouldn't support us. Now they do, but sensei won't change the name. He said he likes being "independant"

Anyways, that more of my history than just WHY I got into martial arts.

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

• 1 month later...
I started because, and I hate to admit this, I wanted to learn to fight well. Now, I continue (and I'm even more embarassed to admit this), to keep learning to fight well. I'm just a bit more focused now.

I dont think you should have to hate to admit that at all, thats why I went and thats why I am still there, to learn how to fight. Its called Martial Arts for a reason.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I picked up boxing when I was younger as I'm more of a solo sport kind of guy. They didn't have too many boxing tournaments around, but they did have a kickboxing club that fought often. So I went there, learned a basic front, side, and roundhouse kick, learned how to clinch and knee, and learned how to check a kick all within about 20 minutes. I went in, fought, beat the guy, and thought "hey that was fun."

I realized I needed some kicking though so I looked around where I was at and found some karate (Goju Ryu). I then caught the MMA bug (though not quite as bad in 2000 as it is now) and wanted to try some NHB matches. Eventually decided it wasn't for me, dabbled around a bit, and eventually got back to karate (Kyokushin).

I used to be a "let's spar all the time, only losers do kata" kind of guy, much like a lot of the younger generation is now (where if you don't study the standard cocktail of BJJ+Muay Thai that's fashionable then you're not really a martial artist). I got to a point where I did an entire 180 and now I'm a very traditional minded guy. I still love to spar and get it on (good thing too, cause in Kyokushin, we love that stuff) but I enjoy doing kata frequently now, work on my kihon, like ippon/sanbon kumite, and even meditate. Go figure.

When I started karate I had a huge problem with alcohol and marajuana.

While I was training I felt like i somehow overcome my addictions but as soon as class was over I would start drinking again or have a smoke.

I struggled like this for four years training on and off and never really kicking the drinking.

It was only in November last year where I made the decision after a few trips to AA to stop drinking to fous on living a more productive and purposeful life.

I am now healthy, fit and feel really good about where I am headed.

I started just this last November. We had started my older son (when he was around 4) a couple of years ago. He wasn't really getting into it, but we really wanted him to stick with it. He's tall and skinny.. just want him to develop some self defense skills as well as focus and self discipline. We really like the dojo.

My husband and I both started MA in November. It looked like fun, a great way to get in shape and, for me, a way to learn how to defend myself as well as my children if the need ever arises. We also felt that this is something we could all do as a family. Both our boys are now in class (they are 4 and 7) and my husband and I are doing it too. I feel like I'm in finally getting back into shape and feel a lot better about myself now. It's much easier to get the kids to go to class and be involved too, now that I understand what they are doing and can help them practice.

We really enjoy going and are lucky to have found a fantastic dojo.