• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should instructors teach what the student wants to learn?

How does the martial art you practice stand in your eyes?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How does the martial art you practice stand in your eyes?

• My art is rather traditional and that's how I like it.
    • My art is rather tradtional but has made satisfactory updating changes.
    • My art is rather traditional and has not made satisfactory updating changes.
    • My art is not traditional and is right up-to-date.
    • My art is traditional, and with correct practice engenders good form that can be applied in the modern world.

I wonder how many of us who weren't good kickers, or were not considered good kickers, in the past would be fine nowadays because of this to-the-thigh roundhouse?

Being a good kicker isn't about high kicking. Its about being tactically sound with your kicking, and using good technique and power when you do it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many of us who weren't good kickers, or were not considered good kickers, in the past would be fine nowadays because of this to-the-thigh roundhouse?

Being a good kicker isn't about high kicking. Its about being tactically sound with your kicking, and using good technique and power when you do it.

Yep no point in kicking to the head if it doesn't do anything. Better a solid kick to the leg than a tap to the head.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yep no point in kicking to the head if it doesn't do anything. Better a solid kick to the leg than a tap to the head.

I agree but I may not have been clear.

With my height at 5'6", and the fact that fairly heavy weight-training did not help my flexibility, sparring with others and even doing non-contact above my opponent's belt was and remains a challenge. Past and present, I could/can really only do it with a front kick; roundhouses and side kicks remain below the belt, higher now because of stretching exercises, but still below it, and yet acceptable in sparring nowadays if to the thigh.

Striking a WaveMaster set for my own height, or against a kick shield, the power kicks I can give when doing roundhouses and side kicks are low ones. Forcing myself to go higher really does result in mere taps. When I experiment at home with a Muay Thai-type 45 degree angle roundhouse, I can strike the same height as my ribs with a lot of power.

Again, though, how tall is my opponent?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I see what you are saying, Joe, but I still stand by what I stated. However, I see that you are vexed by the rules you have to spar with, and therefore mean kicking good within those parameters.

I would not say that heavy lifting with your legs decreased your flexibility; improper stretching exercises (those not conducive to kicking) would have contributed to your flexibility.

What I mean to say is that being a good kicker can translate to more than just a sparring medium. I truly think that you can be a good kicker, even if it is only in the self-defense realm of low-line kicking.

.......I truly think that you can be a good kicker, even if it is only in the self-defense realm of low-line kicking.

What a coincidence ! I have heard my instructor say this many times. That being able to kick HIGH doesn't mean you are a great kicker. It just means you can kick high. There are people who can kick high, but it's not a "great kick" if you know what I mean. Then there are people who can only kick low, yet their kicks are beautifully executed and effective against their opponent.

Quality not height (or something to that effect) :D

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

.......I truly think that you can be a good kicker, even if it is only in the self-defense realm of low-line kicking.

What a coincidence ! I have heard my instructor say this many times. That being able to kick HIGH doesn't mean you are a great kicker. It just means you can kick high. There are people who can kick high, but it's not a "great kick" if you know what I mean. Then there are people who can only kick low, yet their kicks are beautifully executed and effective against their opponent.

This is so funny we were discussing this last night in class about the heighth of kicks in a self defense situation. :) and I agree with you it is not the heighth of your kicks, it is about proper technique and the effectiveness against your opponent. :karate:

This is so funny we were discussing this last night in class about the heighth of kicks in a self defense situation. :) and I agree with you it is not the heighth of your kicks, it is about proper technique and the effectiveness against your opponent. :karate:

If you think about it, how many "traditional" Katas are there with high kicks? Very few, if any. ;)

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

If you think about it, how many "traditional" Katas are there with high kicks? Very few, if any. ;)

I do not know of any at this time in my training and what I have read so far.

For tournaments my Sensei has me throw my kicks high because they "look better" and to be able to compete with competitors that do not do traditional katas. :)

I do not know of any at this time in my training and what I have read so far.

For tournaments my Sensei has me throw my kicks high because they "look better" and to be able to compete with competitors that do not do traditional katas. :)

I agree. Not many did. More do now, but just because a kick is thrown high in a kata performance, doesn't mean that it can't be done lower, in application.