• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are your favourite point sparring techniques?

Ozpunker

I've read in other threads how people have mentioned that in sparring you only need about 5 or 6 different techniques (And know them well) to be successful.. I was just wondering what are your let's say top 5 fav techniques to use in a sparring situation? (I'm mostly think of point sparring)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the good old punches. I'll use a spin hook kick at times, but it really isn't my bread and butter. I like to block, cram, and punch, and then round kick on the way out.

I like doing a sliding in side kick. I also like to slap down my opponents hand(s) and go in for a head shot. Also a double roundhouse kick (kick to the body to bring their arm down, then without putting your foot down you snap it at their head). Thats what I can think of atm. My sparring changes with my moods.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Roundhouse has to be in there, along with my personal favourite, a pushing side kic. You can keep pushing your opponent out of the ring or just knock them off balance for you to come in over the top. Love doing axe kicks as well.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Not much point fighting experiance, but some stuff that's worked really well for me in my venues-

High flurrys finished with hooks, follow up with upper cut. I've probibly used this set up for more quality ringers than any other.

Jab series followed by a slip to the outside and lead hook. Good opener.

MT round kick to thigh, if they back out chamber and extend to side kick (yes I kick :) )

I like doing a sliding in side kick. I also like to slap down my opponents hand(s) and go in for a head shot. Also a double roundhouse kick (kick to the body to bring their arm down, then without putting your foot down you snap it at their head). Thats what I can think of atm. My sparring changes with my moods.

Those are exactly some of the techniques I've been practicing. As well as the axe kick that DWx mentioned. Glad to know that I'm heading in the right path.

I forgot to mention that I have a tournament next weekend. The ISKA 'Best of the Best' National Titles. The lousy thing is that I haven't had much time as I would like to train for it because we had our school's grading yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to request more tournament based training during the week.

• 2 weeks later...

I competed on the weekend. I was disappointed with the turn out. I was the only one in my division so I had to spar against the only competitor in the division above me (I'm orange belt he was brown). I started to get nervous but I struck up a conversation with my opponent before the round and the nerves mostly went away. The actual fight was over in a minute, I tried my hardest but he was just way too quick for me. This is a good thing, now when I go back to training I know I have to work on my speed.

Because we were the only 2 who competed in our category I was awarded 2nd place. I'm happy about that but in some respects a small part of me feels that I don't deserve the trophy or that it was a hollow victory, because I didn't actually win a fight.

I know what you mean there, Ozpunker. It sucks when you go to a tourney, and your division isn't that big. I like having bigger divisions.