• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RBSD a strategy?

I think we are close on this point Jim, but I do have to digress just a bit. I think the two, while there is much in common, are distincley different. That 's not to say that sd training can't learn from mma methods. Or that mma dosn't give one a good base for sd. Both are very much the case. But sd is not simply the beginning of mma training.

There are certain factors that an sd motiveated ma-ist must be concerned with that mma fighters simply don't. Knives, guns, and clubs come to the forefront of my mind. The principles of controling conflicts that involve these weapons goes in a different direction than mma training alone, no matter how good of a base it might give you. So to does the time spent learning to actually imploy these weapons, which is something that I think is a must in todays sd enviornment.

Another thing that seperates the two is the use in sd of tactics that are not allowed in mma events. Eye gouges, groing kick, stomping motions to the outside of the knees, strkes to the c-spine, small joint manip, ect. It's not that these things are superior to mma training, but they can serve in sd circles very effieciently and should be trained as a primary method of attack, not just an aside. Does that mean an mma-er can't do these things outside the ring? OF course not, I'm just stating that they are not trained primarily in mma.

mma offers an excellent skill set that is very cross over friendly for those wanting to hone sd skills, but they are not one in the same.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
So, simply put- Self Defense is pretty much the very basics of what MMA is used simply to try to survive a situation. Any space or opening is all thats needed for you to escape the situation and survive.

MMA is about completely dominating and ultimately defeating your opponent. If your opponent tries to avoid the fight and be defensive, you need to use your skills to find an opening, setup attacking opportunities, and find a way to submit or ko your opponent.

If in a self defense situation your attacker does the same thing, you simply take advantage of the situation and run away.

So, ironically, MMA is RBSD taken to the next level

This is an interesting way to look at it. Thanks for your insight here.

Looking back at John asking about "codified," I had said when I used it that "it stands independently, identifiably," and for "code" at Merriam-Webster, the first two definitions say:

1: a systematic statement of a body of law; especially: one given statutory force

2: a system of principles or rules code>

If there's no code, it isn't more than an assemblage of knowledge without organization; it's highly useful knowledge, but not systemitized. To me, this applies to RBSD.

I think that RBSD does have a code, however. The style is based in the survival of confrontation, and in doing so, the defenders are expected and usually trained to understand the moral, ethical, and legal responsibilities of their actions. Often times, they will have to make the case for their actions in court. Therefore, even if RBSD does not follow some of the codes that more traditional systems do, it still does have its own direction. These things are especially important for the law enforcement officers who are supposed to protect others in such a way.