• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unsu Jump!

Shotokan Student

Don't let it bug you. Everyone lets the odd post slip thru occassionally that they're not proud of. Even I've written a few that I've considered going back and editing after I read them a couple of times and saw the responses. Not because I meant to be harsh, but because they came off a bit wrong.

Yes, we probibly deal with ego a bit. In some cases, most I would hope, it's more to the fact that lots of us have been doing this awhile. This makes us very opinionated. Add to that the sheer variety of things we train in and the vastly differnet focus we all have and it's easy to see how adamant can seem harsh easily enough.

And then other times, as I said above, we all post stuff that we regret after we see how it's taken.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As JusticeZero stated, nobody is discouraging anyone from learning Unsu. But it's kind of like someone asking how an electonic ignition module works when they haven't learned what a spark plug does and what the 4 strokes of an engine are?

Same thing with Unsu, there are so many comprised basic techniques that need to be perfected first prior to not only learning, but more importantly understanding Unsu.

Unsu requires little explanation - if all the other basics and katas are perfected first.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Killer Miller, I just wonder what you expect of me. My Sensei wishes for me to perform Unsu. Do you expect me to tell him, 'No Sensei, I must perfect the other moves first?'

I do as I am told, and ask for help where I need it. He believes I perform Unsu to his liking but remarks that my jump needs to be higher and I need to tuck my knees in. I am trying to see if anybody can help me grasp this move any better. Unfortunately I also feel the need to justify myself to you, but can't tell whose eyes are closed, yours or mine. Obviously I believe it's yours, but leave the door open to the possibility I am incorrect.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's in your system at your rank, do it. You don't have to justify anything beyond that to anyone, certainly not your instructor.

Remember too that since we all have vastly different backgrounds it's easy to end up with stuff at different places in the learning spectrum based on what everyones main focus is.

If I offended you, that most certainly was not my intention and would certainly apologize for that misunderstanding...

If it's in your system to learn at your level, then by all means learn the kata. In my system and instructing, I wouldn't ask a student to lean this kata until black belt at least. My only reasoning for this is because it is one of the most difficult katas to learn if you haven't mastered the basics and other kata's first - which Unsu has portions and techniques from many of all the other katas in it. And that is my only point why I would have a student to wait and why I was asking questions to begin with as to why you were learning the kata at your level. But If your instructor has ask you to, then that is most certainly all that needs to be said.

So in that case to answer your question, the jump is successful by staying centered as if you had a pole going down through the center of you body and affixed to the floor. You jump up, with good breathing timing from your lower diaphragm, as high as you can maintaining the centered axis where most of your effort is going up and not outwards. At the same time you do a centered turn on the axis that naturally occurs - but the jump force is mainly going up. Too many Karte-ka doing this kata are typically off-centered of out of balance when starting the jump upwards. Therefore, the force needed to go "up" ends of going more outward instead of up - thus losing the height needed for the jump.

Hope that helps and sorry for the misunderstanding...

- Killer -

Killer Miller, I just wonder what you expect of me. My Sensei wishes for me to perform Unsu. Do you expect me to tell him, 'No Sensei, I must perfect the other moves first?'

I do as I am told, and ask for help where I need it. He believes I perform Unsu to his liking but remarks that my jump needs to be higher and I need to tuck my knees in. I am trying to see if anybody can help me grasp this move any better. Unfortunately I also feel the need to justify myself to you, but can't tell whose eyes are closed, yours or mine. Obviously I believe it's yours, but leave the door open to the possibility I am incorrect.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's in your system at your rank, do it. You don't have to justify anything beyond that to anyone, certainly not your instructor.

Remember too that since we all have vastly different backgrounds it's easy to end up with stuff at different places in the learning spectrum based on what everyones main focus is.

AMEN!!! I was reading through the thread and was wondering when someone was going to respond with this type of remark. Thanks for stepping up tallgeese.

As for the jump in Unsu. More than anything it just takes tons of practice. Most of the suggestions here will help you be quite fruitful with the movement. However, I will also point out that there must be a weight shift from the back stance (kokutsu dachi) just before you jump. Just shift the weight a little from the back foot to the front foot. This allows you to pike (lift) your knee higher and drive through the movement.

Also, pull up some videos of it on youtube. Don't watch anything but the footwork that occurs just before the jump. This is especially true of some of the people that do it best. Some of their footwork is very fast/difficult to see. Just keep watching and rewinding and rewatching until you see what they are doing differently than you.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Killer Miller, thanks for understanding. People have told me to ask lots of questions of my Sensei, but that's just not me. I do what I am told, so it was frustrating reading some of the comments here at times.

Really these tips are just something for me to think about in my head as I attempt the jump, and I think they help. Reminds me of when I tried to learn golf and every time I'd swing I'd go through a checklist in my head.

ps1, that shifting the weight is so important to tell people. When I started this jump a few months ago, my sensei said to just copy him, and I thought he was just jumping straight up from back stance. I looked like a frog until I found a great Youtube video where they guy totally explained the shifting weight. Felt enlightening.

Thanks again everybody for understanding and helping me understand.

Glad to hear it's going better for you. Good luck in your training.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."