• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flexibility for kicks , and Kumite

Amobir92

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Id say relax. The more tense you are, the harder it is to move.

This relates to flexibility, as the others have said.

"All wars are civil wars, as all men are brothers"

Looking for people of diffrent styles to spar/train with in Wickford/Essex area. IM or E-mail me if your interested.

If you are looking for solid information with respects to flexibility training and kicking, I would recommend any materials (e.g. books, video etc) from Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (He's also an experience lecturer in Kinesiology), Marco Lala (has a series of videos dedicated to flexibility and kicking) and Thomas Kurz, perhaps one of the worlds foremost exponents on effective training protocols for kicking.

Here's a useful video you may be interested in:

http://www.stadion.com/power_high_kicks.html

Superfoot.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• 1 year later...

well the way i got my jodan mawashi geri higher is to do the straddle stretch... A LOT! trust me, i used to go to the back of my dojo everyday after school and stretch in that stretch for 30 minutes everyday. i can now kick over my head and a couple people over me :)

proud brown belt of Fushin Ryu style!

Do not worry about the height of your Mawashi geri at the moment ,rather put your effort into performing a correct Mawashi geri .one that would actualy work for real ,even at lower heights .

karate is not about jodan mawashigeri alone ,once you bulid a sound foundation (basics ) your technique and movement and thus your kumite will improve .

I been practicing shotokan for 7 months almost a year and got my yellow belt and my sensei would have said something like that, focus on doing a correct mawashi geri first and the height will come

I learned to a mikazuki geri last night and my sensei said it wasnt bad for my first try. I'd try get a correct mikazuki geri before a height one. doesnt matter if you can kick as high as yer head. if it isnt being done right, then the fact you can kick that high wont matter.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Its strange that you mention the hook kick; i graded in march to white belt and because of the classes i am able to attend, in the training kumite session we have just started doing them (( i'm told to do it to the best of my ability of course)) i do have one thing going for me and that is...i'm no lightweight so it takes a couple of kicks before i actually move.

~Rhi

yeah i like the hook kick and mawashi geri. with mikazuki geri i think i'm better at soto than uchi.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.