• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that these targets could be used, but as opportunistic strikes to targets like the eyes, or the throat, or other soft targets. The leapard paw, if I am not mistaken, is much akin to the palm strike, so it would have more readily available uses, like the power slap, right?

However, I do think that strikes like the palm heel strike into the jaw, or punches to the jaw or body would likely take precedence, and I say this depending on where on the use of force ladder one is at the time.

I'm not entirely sure what some of those are, but I'm not a big fan of exotic strikes. I'm assume that the crane one is with the back of the bent wrist?

I don't see the need. Most targets can be successfully targeted with punches and/or palm heels, which just seem more intuitive and therefore easier to access during a fight.

Eye gouges and such obviously need to be done open-handed, but I don't use a specific movmenment, just open the fingers and bury.

As for the spearhand, I just don't know what target you'd match it to that it would be effective at. All the small joints of the finger give just taht muchmore room in the system for energy to escape during impact. Plus it seems like agreat way to injure those little suckers. Any soft tissue target that it might be effective against could just as easily be struck with another, more solid strike.

I just think that their application is a bit limited in the role that you mentioned.

Do you think that hand strikes such as tiger claw, spear hand strike, and crane beak, leopard paw, and others strikes like them are practical and/or usable during an actual street/bar fight?

The simple answer is If you practice them then you earn the right to use them

I'm not entirely sure what some of those are, but I'm not a big fan of exotic strikes. I'm assume that the crane one is with the back of the bent wrist?

I don't see the need. Most targets can be successfully targeted with punches and/or palm heels, which just seem more intuitive and therefore easier to access during a fight.

Eye gouges and such obviously need to be done open-handed, but I don't use a specific movmenment, just open the fingers and bury.

As for the spearhand, I just don't know what target you'd match it to that it would be effective at. All the small joints of the finger give just taht muchmore room in the system for energy to escape during impact. Plus it seems like agreat way to injure those little suckers. Any soft tissue target that it might be effective against could just as easily be struck with another, more solid strike.

I just think that their application is a bit limited in the role that you mentioned.

The spear hand strike would attack areas such as the throat, arm pit, soft tissue areas, etc... Because of the shape of this strike it makes it faster than the normal punch. That's one of the reasons for using it instead of a regular punch. It can also strike pressure points and nerve areas easier.

The other strikes I mentioned would cause greater damage IMO than just a punch. A tiger claw or an eagle claw to the throat can strike and rip at a persons throat where as a punch just hits and can not rip and tear.

Leopard paw strikes soft tissue areas as well and you can put more power into your strike because it has smaller surface area than a punch. You can also strike the bridge of the nose with this strike.

Mark R.

Ok, I had to do a search to kind of figure out some of those but I think I've got a bit of an idea now.

As for a spear hand bing faster, maybe or maybe not. It's hard to tell and probibly has more to do with the mechanics of each's thrower than anything. The throat is harder to hit at speed than most think anyway, but even then I'd rather have a fist or forarm in it, there's just more chance of contact and again, less energy escape from the system. As for nerve clusters, I can't really speak to that, but stiff fingers hanging out are a great way to get them hurt in any application.

I'm a big fan of grabbing the throat and such, I've just never bothered to call it anything but grabbing the throat.

As for the last, it's the one that strikes with the middle row of phalangies right? The first row of knuckes extended and the second bent forward? Yes, there is a smaller striking area, but again we go back to more internsic movement across the whole striking chain. That leads to escaping energy during contact. That's less energy that you're transfering to the bad guys brain bucket. I agree iut would probibily hurt, but I just don't see what it does that a standard punch can't do. Not to mention that you're making contat wiht the tiny little bones of the finger rather than the larger end surfaces of the bone. It seems like a likley way to get them broke. Not a fight ender to be sure, but a nuscience none the less.

Just my thoughts.

Ok, I had to do a search to kind of figure out some of those but I think I've got a bit of an idea now.

I'm a big fan of grabbing the throat and such, I've just never bothered to call it anything but grabbing the throat.

As for the last, it's the one that strikes with the middle row of phalangies right? The first row of knuckes extended and the second bent forward?

That is correct.

If a person trains in say snake style kung fu then his fingers should be conditioned from all the training he has done in that style to withstand the impact of the strikes without causing damage to his/her fingers. This should be said with any style that is practiced that uses crazy hand strikes.

Mark R.

I remember knicknaming it a "Y-hand," thumb, fingers, and forearm forming the letter in my mind. Every strike likely has an exotic name, but sometimes we remember it better when we use our own terms.

As for the last, it's the one that strikes with the middle row of phalangies right? The first row of knuckes extended and the second bent . . .

When I studied TKD in the past, Grandmaster Son visited, and there was a bit of a presentation. His English wasn't his strongest point, but one thing that was clear was when he said that you could be fighting someone with "no neck." We understood him to mean a muscular man, one who likely built up his traps and neck muscles. (A lot like BOB.) He demonstrated the same hand formation as you're describing, Tallgeese, and said to do a strike right to the throat. I'm not saying that GM Son said to do this as a first strike, but he was, to me, saying to us that we should keep it ready in our arsenal.

Not a fight ender to be sure, but a nuscience none the less.

I'd say so. No one likes to get hit in the throat, giving him cause to pause, and maybe it'll help get you out of there.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

The quote joe used I actually meant in regards to breaking up you little hand bones by accident during contact that may, and often does occur, during a fight.

Still, it's important to note that everyone has this idea that just by smashing someone in the throat you'll automatically disable them. Nothing is beyond the realm of possibility, of course. And you might very well do just that. However, you are just as likely to do serious tissue damage without blocking the trachea. Can't put all your eggs in one basket so to speak.