• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and stumbled across your website while searching for different styles of marital arts, and I must say that I am very impressed with both the quality of the site and that of the users who post here. The information provided by the articles and users here are very helpful and outstanding and I am very glad I found this sight.

The question I have for you all is about which styles that will best suit me, which I’ve seen has asked a lot around here. What I want to do is narrow down the martial art styles that best fit me into a short list and hopefully find a dojo within my area that has one of those styles listed. I do intend to drive out and observe their sessions to learn about the instructors, but I would much rather have a list of styles best suited for me first instead of driving thirty minutes to a dojo and not liking the style within five minutes. Also, I would much rather have input from people about the styles than just from just my own online research.

Information about me:

I’m 21 years old, 6 foot and currently 240 pounds but plan to be around 215 by summer, which is when I plan to start my training. I want to learn martial arts to bring back discipline in my life, keep me in shape, and train me to defend myself on the job and my friends and family.

My body has short legs, medium length arms, a long thick torso and wide shoulders and thick frame. Although I’ve been inactive for the past year and a half I still retain some of my upper and lower body strength from football. Since my legs are not long nor as flexible I guess high kicks and jumps are not something I’m looking for, so I know I do not want to take Taekwondo.

I have wrestled for four years in high school and played football up to my junior year in college until I needed stop because of two knee surgeries. The only martial arts training I had was when I was 16 for three months in Okinawan Shorin-Ryu. I had to quit because of my sport activities. I don’t remember my belt rank but I do remember I was in the middle of learning the last kata needed to try out for a green belt. I want to point out that am not put off by this style.

When I played football I was a defensive end and my coach put a great deal of emphasis on speed, explosiveness, hand placement and leverage to control and throw offensive lineman off balance, which I needed considering I was one of the smallest lineman on the team. Wrestling also helped me with balance, leverage and hand control, so I guess I’m a decent grappler. But during an actual fight, and because of my job as a security guard, I would much rather be in standing position, or at least in an upper controlled position, over my opponent when I throw them to the ground instead of falling with them. This is mostly due to the fact that the people I encounter will most likely not be alone and being on the ground will put me at a disadvantage, so I guess Judo is something I do not want. (Unless I am completely mistaken about Judo’s techniques, which is highly likely on my part)

Overall, what I’m not looking for is style that is too flashy, focuses on high jumps and kicks, and does not realistically take into account of opponents using weapons. I’m not interested in competitive martial arts.

What I am looking for is a style that will help me subdue and disarm my opponent(s) with the least amount of bodily harm to myself and help me maintain positions that will not put me at a disadvantage. I am not turned off by punches or kicks and would love to use them.

I apologize if I rambled on too much and I appreciate all the tips, comments, and help you can provide.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, welcome to the forums! Which style to take is always a tough decision complicated by the availability of schools. You do have experience in Shorin-ryu, so you may want to take up that style again. However, you might give Judo a second look. Though it does have a grappling aspect, it also focuses on projecting your opponent to the ground while you remain standing. Check out some of these videos on judoinfo.com. Having shorter legs should translate into a lower center of gravity that would work to your advantage executing some of the throws. I guess I sound like a judo salesman, but I don't even train in that style (though I would like to). Hope this helps.

Ed

Ed

Hello, and welcome to the Forums. :karate:

What do you have available in your area to choose from? Judo might fit you well, and would complement your Wrestling skills nicely. I would also add that if you find a TKD school that isn't necessarily sport-oriented, then it might have some things that you like. Just don't let a stereotype deter you.

Thanks the responses! After watching some of those videos in the link I'm taking another look at Judo.

What do you have available in your area to choose from?

Here are some within a 10-25 minute drive:

Traditional Korean Karate: Tang Soo Do.

A School that offers Tang Soo Do, Tai Chi, Kempo, Wung Chun, and Ju Jitsu.

A school that offer TKD and Kum Do

Aikido

TKD

Traditional Japanese Shotokan Karate

Within a 30 to 50 minute drive:

Judo

Hapkido

I know there are more but this is just a sample. I live in Marion Iowa, about an hour away from Iowa City and ten minutes from Cedar Rapids if any of you want to google search the area for different schools.

You've got some good choices given what you're looking for. Here's the thing, a system is only as good as the school that teaches it, no matter how good it's individual movements are. Mindset and training methods vary greatly, so go in and take time looking at each and talking with students and instructors to see where you'll fit in best.

Given that disclamer, any of the judo or jujitsu clubs would probibly build on your strengths. Kempo would probibly serve you well also. The hapkido as well. I'd give those a look and pick one after you got a feel for the atmosphere and focus of each.

Good luck.

I have to say, I really liked the Traditional Shotokan. The instructor has a great deal of experience in exactly what you are looking for. Shotokan traditionally is a standing art. There are take downs, but typically the individual does not follow the opponent to the ground. The other thing I like ALOT and wish was true in my own dojo, Only adult students. You are not going to be in a belt factory with this school. Guaranteed.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Have you been to sit in on some of there classes? If not go and sit in on some of there classes and take notes maybe do a pros and cons list of what you like and what you do not like and if they offer free lessons take them (I seen that some of them did) that will give you a better idea of what you maybe looking for out of taking a trial period and help you choose what is right for you. :karate:

Based upon your objectives, I'd suggest traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu. However, good schools in this art are usually pretty hard to come by. You list a school that teaches jiu-jitsu but, from the other arts listed, it may be an 'eclectic' place where either the instructor is very experienced (given the mix listed) or is simply selling 'names' of things that he thinks will bring in students.

Go to a large book store and look for books by either George Kirby or Wally Jay to get a feel for what kind of techniques I mean.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Thanks the responses! After watching some of those videos in the link I'm taking another look at Judo.

What do you have available in your area to choose from?

Here are some within a 10-25 minute drive:

Traditional Korean Karate: Tang Soo Do.

A School that offers Tang Soo Do, Tai Chi, Kempo, Wung Chun, and Ju Jitsu.

A school that offer TKD and Kum Do

Aikido

TKD

Traditional Japanese Shotokan Karate

Within a 30 to 50 minute drive:

Judo

Hapkido

I know there are more but this is just a sample. I live in Marion Iowa, about an hour away from Iowa City and ten minutes from Cedar Rapids if any of you want to google search the area for different schools.

Honostly speaking, it would seem your best option would be going for Judo. Striking styles, such as karate, wing chun, Tang Soo Doo, Tae Kwon Do, etc will not teach you how to restrain someone, at least effectively, when compared to other grappling styles such as wrestling, BJJ, and Judo. These styles do better teaching striking, and you cant just start wailing on someone if you're a security guard.

I also wouldnt recommend the Japanese Ju Jitsu or the Hapkido either. Their grappling cirriculums are not very widespread and are still primarily striking arts, albeit they do just a little more grappling than the other traditional striking arts.