• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do I inform my instructor of a major flaw

I would just say "I was reading this article and I thought it had some great benefits to warm ups. Would you be interested in reading it?"

My own approach has always been to let the ideas come from the instructor, even if I made a small suggestion to get the change. I let my instructor take the lead to decide if he wants to change or not. It isn't a big deal that you would rather keep the subject of this "major flaw" under wraps, but if it isn't hurting anyone, could it really be a "major" flaw. Just a thought to keep in mind if your instructor is reluctant to change his own program.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would just say "I was reading this article and I thought it had some great benefits to warm ups. Would you be interested in reading it?"

Diplomatic. Respectful. Tori, you're a born mediator.

It isn't a big deal that you would rather keep the subject of this "major flaw" under wraps, but if it isn't hurting anyone, could it really be a "major" flaw.

When I was doing weight-training, there would always be an article coming out that either said the standard way was inadequate, or that it caused damage to the body. Then there'd be a training routine by a champion bodybuilder who incorporated this very same "inadequate" or "damaging" exercise in his routine--but emphasized proper form when doing it.

If you want to get published in the health and fitness field (which is where I'm supposing this "major flaw" was found), come out with something "revolutionary" or expose a "danger" while replacing it with your improved way of doing things.

Since we don't know what this "major flaw" is, I'm thinking it's just something innocuous presented as improper in a well-written article.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I've discovered this flaw after reading multiple articles on the subject.

What is the best way to approach this?

On several occasions, my instructor has even ASKED us students to submit ideas or suggestions on things we would like to learn (or do) in class that we might not cover in a regular class or things we feel that need more practice in; and any other comments we'd like to bring up. My instructor is flexible & open-minded in that way. So, I would suggest talking to yours after class and bring the matter up. The worst that can happen is he says no.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I've discovered this flaw after reading multiple articles on the subject.

What is the best way to approach this?

On several occasions, my instructor has even ASKED us students to submit ideas or suggestions on things we would like to learn (or do) in class that we might not cover in a regular class or things we feel that need more practice in; and any other comments we'd like to bring up. My instructor is flexible & open-minded in that way. So, I would suggest talking to yours after class and bring the matter up. The worst that can happen is he says no.

That is awesome that you have an instructor like that. An environment in which students don't have to worry about whether or not to ask a question, or make a suggestion, is a very healthy learning environment.

I agree. That's the main thing I like about my instructor in that there is NO huge ego there. As long as things are said and presented in a respected manner, all ideas and suggestions are welcome. They may not necessarily be used, however but they are welcome to be spoken or offered in the form of a suggestion.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

We were recently told in class that they were going to put up a suggestion box. I like this idea because of the option of anonymity about it. It gives everyone the chance to request certain things without fear of being directly rejected or feeling like they are being rude for asking something to change.

That's not a bad idea, either, and like you mentioned, the anonyminity of the suggestions might make it easier for others to be more willing to throw something out there.