• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do I inform my instructor of a major flaw

of a major flaw in our typical warm-up/stretching routine?

It's more for the sake of team as I've been keeping this to myself and doing my own warm ups and stretching but I don't want to come off as wannabe-know-it-all.

I've discovered this flaw after reading multiple articles on the subject.

What is the best way to approach this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It depends. Some more information about the specific changes you'd like to see and the flaw itself may be helpful. That being said, there are some generalities that we could address.

First up, where'd you find the articles? Some sources are better than others. THe more professional the organization that published the findings the better. The NATA and PTA both have highly peer-revied publications that often deal with such things. Also, I think the NSCA has a frequent publication that is primarily about training issues like this. Those woule be good sources. Some random guru's website might require further digging to check his source material.

Assuming that it's a good source that's scientifically backed, I'd take it to him in a respectful fashion with the idea of presenting a suggestion based on new research models. We have a tendencey to get stuck in our ways and some people might not strive to keep up with such developments. I'd keep a "what do you think about this" kind of tone rather than pointing out "major flaws", even if they are.

Be willing to let him explain his stance. he may be privy to info that you're not. Often, time constraints and/or equipment issues force compromises in training regardless of what would be a best case scenario. Conversly, without knowing the actual issue, maybe there is a perfectly valid reason that the class is run that way that you have not been introduced to yet. Anything is possible.

Lastly, it's someone elses class. Don't be afraid to just suck it up and accept it if he dosen't want to chanbe things. As long as it isn't harmful, most of the time it's more hair splitting about effiency in these things than actually doing things wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you want, drop more specific info and maybe we could offer more detailed suggestions.

It depends. Some more information about the specific changes you'd like to see and the flaw itself may be helpful. That being said, there are some generalities that we could address.

First up, where'd you find the articles? Some sources are better than others. THe more professional the organization that published the findings the better. The NATA and PTA both have highly peer-revied publications that often deal with such things. Also, I think the NSCA has a frequent publication that is primarily about training issues like this. Those woule be good sources. Some random guru's website might require further digging to check his source material.

Assuming that it's a good source that's scientifically backed, I'd take it to him in a respectful fashion with the idea of presenting a suggestion based on new research models. We have a tendencey to get stuck in our ways and some people might not strive to keep up with such developments. I'd keep a "what do you think about this" kind of tone rather than pointing out "major flaws", even if they are.

Be willing to let him explain his stance. he may be privy to info that you're not. Often, time constraints and/or equipment issues force compromises in training regardless of what would be a best case scenario. Conversly, without knowing the actual issue, maybe there is a perfectly valid reason that the class is run that way that you have not been introduced to yet. Anything is possible.

Lastly, it's someone elses class. Don't be afraid to just suck it up and accept it if he dosen't want to chanbe things. As long as it isn't harmful, most of the time it's more hair splitting about effiency in these things than actually doing things wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you want, drop more specific info and maybe we could offer more detailed suggestions.

I don't want to get into the specifics of this "major flow" to prevent this thread from going off-topic. Let us assume however that it's perfectly correct. This "flaw" is just an element of our warm-ups that needs to be changed. We warm up and stretch on our own prior to the actual class but the team needs to hear it from the instructor if I ever want to get them to change their ways, for the reason I stated in my original post ("wannabe-know-it-all")

Don't worry, off topic can be a way of life around here :) .

If you're warming up on your own, again we come back to the basic question of "is it safe?"

Are people getting injured with their current warm up routine?

Are people getting injured due to a lack of warming up?

If the answer to both of these is "no" then the issue might not even be worth bringing up.

If the answer is yes to both or either then maybe you could apprach it converstionally with the instructor. Put the idea in his head almost as an after thought.

Don't worry, off topic can be a way of life around here :) .

If you're warming up on your own, again we come back to the basic question of "is it safe?"

Are people getting injured with their current warm up routine?

Are people getting injured due to a lack of warming up?

If the answer to both of these is "no" then the issue might not even be worth bringing up.

If the answer is yes to both or either then maybe you could apprach it converstionally with the instructor. Put the idea in his head almost as an after thought.

It is a single element in their warmups. The rest is fine. It doesn't cause any injuries but fixing it would benefit them a lot.

of a major flaw in our typical warm-up/stretching routine?

It's more for the sake of team as I've been keeping this to myself and doing my own warm ups and stretching but I don't want to come off as wannabe-know-it-all.

I've discovered this flaw after reading multiple articles on the subject.

What is the best way to approach this?

I'd not try to tell an instructor how to warm up his class.

Most instructors won't appreciate it. This is one of the main problems with "formal" classes.

If yo do, be nice and bring literature. If it's a single element, it might be better to just let it go. Espicially since everyone's on their own you don't have to do it.

I agree that having some information on exactly what you are talking about would be most helpful. But, as tallgeese stated, just bringing it up in a "what do you think of this" kind of way will do two things; 1) get it out in the open, and 2) get the instructor thinking about different approaches. And it won't make you look like a know-it-all.

A lot of times its not what you say but how you say it that can offend people. If you feel strongly that this information you have is viable and correct, I would approach your instructor privately (not in front of any students) with your documentation that supports your information. Or, you can always word it or mention it as a suggestion. In any case, most instructors (I believe anyway) would be fine with hearing a suggestion about something in class. It is, after all, a business too, and one would think a school owner would at least be open to hearing suggestions even if they don't follow them. :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert