• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With my Shodan in TKD I've been looking to expand a bit more into the grappling arts. My goal is to go to school in Connecticut, but I currently live in New York. I think Ju Jitsu is the way to go as it doesn't put so much focus on belts, which I think tend to distract a person from learning.

I've looked at some schools around the area but wanted to ask people here.

What are decent prices for a JJ school?

Is there a certain chain I should consider? (Gracie...)

What are some reputable schools around the Northeastern area?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As with all things, it depends on what you're trying to accompllish. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ) focuses almost entirely on ground work so if that's what you want to learn, go for BJJ. As the flavor of the month, BJJ schools have a tendency to be pricey.

Japanese Jiu-jitsu normally has a broader focus and includes: throws, controls, chokes, locks and sometimes strikes and kicks. As a much less well known art, good Japanese Jiu-jitsu can be hard to find.

Judo normally focuses on throws, chokes, locks and groundwork. However, the main driver now-a-days is competition under very strict rules diminishing significantly, in my opinion, its general applicability outside competition.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Again, depends on the area for prices and what you want out of the art for where you should go.

There are a ton of ground fighting schools out there these days, find a quality one and jump in to the one that fits your schedule and personality best. It can be pricey, often over 100 a month for a school under the tutelge of a good competitor or named family member.

Also consider an MMA gym. They ofeten have excellent ground fighting instructors and will also have seperate classes in most cases to cater to the intrest of a broader range of people.

Japanesse jj is a good art and has good combat tactics when taught properly. Be advised that this will not include much ground fighting per say. It's primarily a standing joint art and not what most people t hink of these days when they hear jj.

A good point arises when reading the above post. Make sure that the school matches what you want out of your grappling. Are you wanting to compete in gi only traditional venues- might want to stay out of the mma wing. To round out your sd game- mma might be a good bet with it's heavy work on striking from the ground or the Japaneese jj for standing jhoint manip if you've been a striker for years. What ever it is, make sure what you want and what the school primarily trains for mesh.

Good points above. I wouldn't worry about price quite as much as I would as to what is being taught and how. If you want an improved ground game, then BJJ would be the way to go, I think. For throwing, Judo would be good. Also, you could look into a Hapkido school for something similar to more traditional Japanese Jujitsu.

• 2 weeks later...
With my Shodan in TKD I've been looking to expand a bit more into the grappling arts. My goal is to go to school in Connecticut, but I currently live in New York. I think Ju Jitsu is the way to go as it doesn't put so much focus on belts, which I think tend to distract a person from learning.

I've looked at some schools around the area but wanted to ask people here.

What are decent prices for a JJ school?

Is there a certain chain I should consider? (Gracie...)

What are some reputable schools around the Northeastern area?

Decent prices for a JJ school will be somewhere from $100-200 a month, depending on the quality of instruction. For example, if the school is headed by a purple belt, I could expect something like $75-100 a month, whereas brown and black belts will be somewhere around $125-200 a month.

Certain chain of schools? Doesnt have to be Gracie, just be sure that its BJJ. I wouldnt recommend Japanese Ju Jitsu. It has more striking than does BJJ, but BJJ makes up for this with its remarkable technique- a 6 month white belt in BJJ will generally have the same grappling proficiency as a black belt in Japanese Ju Jitsu.

Reputable schools? Only ones I know of in or around New England Area is Florian's school. If you find one, post it and I'll fill you in on what I know about it.

• 1 month later...

Finding a really good JJJ school, with good students to train with (against), and top quality teachers has become very hard to find.

The explosion of students looking into BJJ as a first choice for grappling due to it's effectiveness in MMA, has cut significantly into the amount of money that JJJ schools can generate.

To deal with that many of the JJJ schools these days have cross trained and incorporated much Judo and Aikido into their curriculum.

In tournaments I've met TKD students that have grappling as a traditional part of their system. Which would probably be beneficial for you, considering they already know the techniques you have trained, and their system is probably centered around using those strikes and blocks to set up their grappling.

JJJ schools are fairly rare- Judo has absorbed a good portion of the classical jujutsu throws plus some ground technique, and BJJ perfects the ground stuff to an art form. Judo is famously cheap- I know of some clubs that only go for about 25 bucks a month. I've never been to a JJJ school in person, but for BJJ you are easily looking at over $100 a month.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt