• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can I keep with karate? (light-headedness, exhausted..)

JohnKeats

Hi everybody,

although this is my first post (and I registered 30 seconds ago) I've been reading some posts here since I started MA (19th September!). First, some information: I am 25, 5'6'' (172cm), 145 lbs (66 kg) and not as slim as this sounds, I still have some fat in my stomach and somewhere else. Since I am able to remember, I just can't train with high intensity for "long time". I feel light-headed at best, at worst it was blurred vision and head-aches.

Besides karate (which I have always wanted to do, since childhood), I play basketball in a friendly league, and have no problem warming up and playing with high intensity. By the way, I don't have any diabetic problems (I have not asked a doctor about my symptoms, yes, I know, I know... but had surgery two times about 6 years ago with lots of analysis and I was fine).

The first two days of karate had a quite high (for my body standards, at least) warming up, and I started feeling light-headed. I stopped and waited for it to pass, and kept with it. I tried to eat more on karate days (pasta, almonds, drink more water) and seemed to help, I didn't felt bad. So long so good, but our sensei is out for three classes and one of his black belts is training us. And todays wam up was higher than usual, 15-20 minutes of running+jumping+abs+push-ups. I have no problem with either exercise (Sunday I did around 120 push-ups and abs, in series of 20 reps), but doing a bunch of them while running and keeping a high rhythm...Well, I felt light-headed but stayed. Then stretching. I was somewhat unstable, but did them. After that, oi-tsuki, yodan uke and some more blocks. Almost ok, although I had less and less power. Then twooi-tsuki in a row, with power. It was harder, I couldn't move my arms quicker. And then three in a row, and I had to leave. I was totally depleted and dizzy. Stayed in a side to avoid disturbing the class, and as I wasn't getting any better, I walked out, and made a gesture to our teacher to show I was dizzy. I am not sure if he saw it, he didn't seem too worried.

Well, after too much talking, I am doing Shito-Ryu karate, and I love it. I like katas, and I like very much my sensei. But will these problems hinder my possibilities with karate? I'd like to progress, in rank and in knowledge. If I can't, I want to know, sooner the better.

Thanks everybody

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be just you're body adapting to a new activity. Give it some time. If it persists, get checked out by a doctor to be safe.

By the way, welcome aboard.

Yes, welcome! :karate:

I think that you may want to speak with a doc about the dizzyness.

As for your arms getting tired, 120 push-ups could do that to you. In time, you body will adapt, I'm sure.

Your body adapting to something new--and intense--is going to be taken "on a trip" until it acclimates.

There is something to be said about the dizziness, especially if you haven't experienced it before. I remember going through this when I was in my twenties, and a blood test revealed something odd; I was low on potassium, meaning the side effect of dizziness. I added orange juice and a banana a day (I'm serious) to my diet--doctor's orders. It worked.

BTW, John, when you are training, do you hold your breath a lot? That can contribute to bringing on dizziness and taxing the body.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

John, dizziness, headaches, and blurred vision is NEVER something to think you can adapt to over time. Those can be directly related to something serious like a neurological problem. It could be related something easily taken care of like high blood pressure, low blood sugar... These are things that you need to get checked out by a physician and not wait for something bad to happen. They can monitor you in an office while you are on a treadmill. They will monitor your heart rhythm, heart rate, blood pressure, and symptomatic complaints. This is called a stress test. It is NOT normal for a 25 year old to experience these things. Get it checked out so you can safely continue training and not wonder if you are ok or not.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Like Tori said get checked out. Also include a blood test for anemia as well. To be honest i think you are fine and your body is adapting but it is better to be safe than sorry. With that said after reading all the above try not to panic because that will cause everything to get worse even if you are perfectly fine. Ive gone through a similar thing.

Rule one of Sparring: Beware of anyone who grins the face of obvious oblivion.

By the way, I don't have any diabetic problems (I have not asked a doctor about my symptoms, yes, I know, I know... but had surgery two times about 6 years ago with lots of analysis and I was fine).

Dizziness is a symptom of SO many different things, from simple vertigo, to a lack of water to blood pressure and more. That being said, I am a strong advocate of getting an "ok" from a doctor before beginning any kind of exercise program, no matter what a person's age is or how healthy they feel they are. This is also something you will read over and over again in health magazines, health websites, diet and exercise articles, etc.

It could very well be nothing serious - maybe you just need more water and are dehydrated or not used to doing what you're doing. But the only way to rule out any concerning issues is to see your doctor, tell him your symptoms, get a physical check-up and then resume your workouts.

I've always believed it's better to be on the safe side. Good luck.

Edited by Tiger1962
"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I think everyone may be over-reacting to his symptoms - especially if just starting out. All of the symptoms are typically related to beginner levels of training with incorrect technique, timing, and muscle contraction and expansion - which is all primarily related to Improper Breathing and Breathing Timing in relation to a given or set of body movements. This Is what karate is all about...

If the doctor says he is fine, then I would be willing to bet that the above is all he is dealing with. Breathing Timing is not something you learn overnight - it can take a good instructor and time to acquire. In my classes that I taught, Proper Breathing and Breathing Timing was the Primary focus for many months while learning all the other techniques and katas. Once learning proper breathing timing, all the rest of the concepts and techniques naturally come together.

You must have Oxygen in your body while training, and this is done through correct breathing and breathing timing - otherwise dizziness, fatigue, blurred vision, head aches, etc. will occur...

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Over reacting or not. If someone has recurring symptoms and is nervous enough to share this with strangers, he/she needs to see a physician. I do not feel comfortable telling someone whom Ive never met, dont know their own personal medical history, or their family history to take a wait and see attitude. I have (in the past), taken a young persons complaint in the ER with a "whatever" attitude and found the persons complaints were quit valid and thanking god they came in. For your own sake, just get it checked out. Let a doctor tell you that it is not enough oxygen, or your blood pressure is dropping with position changes. Not us.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I believe he stated that he was already checked out by a doctor for this condition and told there was not a problem. So, I based suggestion of what I've seen happen again and again over the years.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/