• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Techniques from a kneeling stance

I think that there is a difference between a "good" stance and a "deep" stance. A sitting stance is deeper than a back stance, but it isn't so deep that I can't move from it. However, I won't fight from it, either.

By "deep," I mean overly deep to the point of being showy.

Also, stances are transitional, anyway. It isn't a position that is meant to be held for any length of time, other than when performed in a kata or form. Many judoka and grapplers can drop their center of gravity without having to get into a deep stance with their feet 2x shoulder width apart. Its a transitionary movement that you get into and then get out of, and move into the next phase of what you are doing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, stances are transitional, anyway. It isn't a position that is meant to be held for any length of time, other than when performed in a kata or form. Many judoka and grapplers can drop their center of gravity without having to get into a deep stance with their feet 2x shoulder width apart. Its a transitionary movement that you get into and then get out of, and move into the next phase of what you are doing.

Entirely things I agree with for the most part. My art ends to constrain how shallow we can go; several important transitions become much more difficult and sluggish if the stance work raises too high, and work best if the distance between the balls of the feet are roughly one leg length apart. I recognize that is a concern specific to my art that not all share.

That said, when the stances go lower, the height of the shoulders comes down and effectively shortens the one in the stance.

My advice was, in essence, 'If you develop your ability to use your techniques, transitions, and movement in deeper stances, you can use a deepened base to compensate for the height difference.'

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia