• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Techniques from a kneeling stance

I've always found it more difficult to contest with smaller opponents than larger. Every real fight I've ever been in that I've lost (four), I've lost to someone who was at least five inches shorter than me.

I was in one of those perpetual states of random thought this morning and it popped into my head. "How can I overcome that?" And I thought of this:

I'm almost certain I have trouble because my kicks swing too wide and in order to strike vital points with my hands, I have to drop down to their height which leaves all of my vitals open for counter. So what if I were to put them into the same position by dropping on my knees.

I'm not using this to talk about fighting smaller opponents. I just used my weakness against short people as an example. I got curious to see what the forum members here would think about techniques applied from a kneeling stance.

I have a feeling that if I had to make an opponent throw a kick at my head while I was kneeling, I would be able to catch it at the ankle. Or if he tried to punch me, he would have to lean down and leave himself open just like I do.

Kuk Sool Won has a number of black belt techniques involving wrist locks and submissions that are performed from a kneeling stance. Aikido does the same things. Capoeira has a lot of kicks, tripping, and sweeping techniques that happen from a kneeling-type position.

However, I can imagine a kneeling technique would leave oneself open to tackles. But that being said, it's pretty easy to get taken down with a tackle if the opponent is half confident in himself. And side-stepping, sweeping, tripping, and countering are a lot easier said than done even for some of the more experienced martial artists I've known.

Anyway. Thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

................I got curious to see what the forum members here would think about techniques applied from a kneeling stance.

I have a feeling that if I had to make an opponent throw a kick at my head while I was kneeling, I would be able to catch it at the ankle. Or if he tried to punch me, he would have to lean down and leave himself open just like I do. Anyway. Thoughts?

What popped into my head as I was reading this was geared more toward street-related self defense. Why not a punch to the groin area? If you are kneeling, you're probably going to be that high anyway (depending on the height of your opponent). I know, you probably can't groin strike someone in class...but that was the first thing that popped into my head in trying to visualize someone in a kneeling position. Your idea of catching the ankle is another one. Another is slamming your fist down on the instep of the foot. If your opponent is injured there, they're going to be hopping and howling in pain and can't attack you again.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Geeze you're good. I wouldn't have thought of that. In that case I have another question:

Why do I consider dislocating an ankle before I consider a groin strike? :lol:

I've always found it more difficult to contest with smaller opponents than larger. Every real fight I've ever been in that I've lost (four), I've lost to someone who was at least five inches shorter than me.

We had a thread under General Martial Arts, "Sparring Against a Shorter Opponent" that should be accessible at:

http://www.karateforums.com/sparring-against-a-shorter-opponent-vt35123.html

I don't know your height, BB of C, but it sounds like you're dealing with infighters, which is what I am because of my own height, 5'6". If you're taller, you need distance for room to fight; if you're shorter, you close in.

I'm trying to remember where I saw it (was it a video from YouTube or an article with photos/a video?), but the boxer dropped down from his stance and shot out a straight punch to his opponent's midsection (they were the same height). I tried that and it did surprise my opponent when I disappeared--and the punch that flew at him was a surprise, too. Have you thought not of going down on your knees, which will limit your mobility, but dropping down and firing a shot or two straight forward to his face from your surprise position? You can then jump right back up, regaining your stance and likely surprising your opponent again.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I'd get used to dropping center maybe from the knees to shoot lower, but I'd stay off my knees unless you're shooting in, and even then I'd move thru the posture as quickly as possible to lock up and conduct the takedown.

It limits you're mobility and puts all your vital area in danger. Stay up and work on movment and evasiveness would be my advice.

Being on your knees won't allow you to be near as mobile as you need to be to fight well. It may take away some targets for your opponent, but it may not be worth it.

Like you mentioned, though, Aikido does many techniques from the kneeling position; in fact, some Aikido schools require all techniques done standing to be done from kneeling as well, at some point in their ranks. I think it can be a useful training tool, but other than that, I doubt I would try it for combat purposes.

Geeze you're good. I wouldn't have thought of that. In that case I have another question:

Why do I consider dislocating an ankle before I consider a groin strike? :lol:

As a backup, in case he's wearing a cup? :D :D :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I'd go for the groin strike first and then the other.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I'd offer that you might learn different arts (e.g. Judo, Jiu-Jitsu) that allow you to bring your superior size / weight to bear (i.e. work from strength). When fighting a significantly smaller opponent, smothering his attack, wrapping him up and sitting on him becomes an option. Similarly, having the reach advantage, many leg throws / sweeps / takedowns work well for the taller opponent.

I'm not a big fan of going to your knees because, as B96 pointed out, you lose too much mobility. If I'd use a karate response, I'd probably focus on using knees, elbows, reverse punches and other short range techniques rather than going to my knees (which also can be used to keep the shorter person off you and open up some distance).

My two cents. :)

If I'd use a karate response, I'd probably focus on using knees, elbows, reverse punches and other short range techniques rather than going to my knees (which also can be used to keep the shorter person off you and open up some distance).

My two cents. :)

I agree here as well. Arcing attacks like the hook and uppercut punches would apply as well. These are good shots to throw in close, and they should not be discounted.