• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting back into it....

After a week in Aikido (the class meets 1 and 1/2 hours 4 evenings per week), I definitely have a bit more perspective. For one, I am WICKED out of shape. It's interesting that I notice this, since Aikido is not a hard, physical art. Nevertheless, after getting thrown, getting up, getting thrown, getting up, etc., I've noticed some real strain in my abdominal muscles.

I have also found this to be true. Falling and rolling seems to focus a lot on the core. I do appreciate it.

I also find it is much more difficult to sit in Sieza for an extended period of time. This I can attribute to lost flexibility as well as the fact that my lower legs have to support about 80 lbs more than they ever did when I trained before.

Yeah, seiza pretty much sucks. I can't sit in it for too long, and it is nice that our dojo isn't too strict on it when doing the demonstrations. I'm getting better, but I don't care for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah, seiza pretty much sucks. I can't sit in it for too long, and it is nice that our dojo isn't too strict on it when doing the demonstrations. I'm getting better, but I don't care for it.

Seiza- I don't know if you ever fully get used to it. We really need more chairs in martial arts.

As for leaving martial arts for awhile, I've done it more times than I'd care to admit, particularly in the past 4 years. If you go to a college like mine that doesn't have any martial art clubs and no gyms in town you don't really have a choice but to study over the summer.

Fortunately I'll be going to a different school next semester and be near by some supposedly top notch training centers where I can continue my Judo and start submission wrestling as a supporting martial art. Maybe if I have the time I might do kendo/iado or some kung fu, but we'll see.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

That's why I love grappling arts... you get to sprawl out on the mat between sets and watch from a cushy prone position :)