• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is a good idea. That is the one thing that I lack on when I get to these seminars where so much is covered. So, I try to take one or two things that I can work on, and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that MMA is a Martial Art, although it's mixed per it's name..."Mixed" Martial Arts. Call it a rage, call it a fad, call it "15 minutes of fame", and/or call it whatever one might, imho, the MMA is a Martial Art.

I struggled with calling MMA a Martial Arts for quite awhile, but, I see that it is just that...a viable Martial Arts, imho!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

MMA gets that "mixed" tag that you mention, Bob, but other styles, that aren't called "mixed" are just that. Take your style, for instance. With the combination of the striking and the tuite, wouldn't you say that it could be constituted as "mixed," as well?

MMA gets that "mixed" tag that you mention, Bob, but other styles, that aren't called "mixed" are just that. Take your style, for instance. With the combination of the striking and the tuite, wouldn't you say that it could be constituted as "mixed," as well?

Absolutely! Powerful point! I stand corrected!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 months later...

There has also been a lot of discussion among media, and people who just generally don't understand what "MMA" really is. If you take the martial arts out of it what you do really have? A mixed opinion. Put the martial arts back in and what do you have?

You have a round based martial arts system that heavily focuses on technique. It also relies on boxing. But not to the extent of pro boxing. Also safety rules have been implemented to protect the fighters, even though its full contact inside that octagon.

I think "artistic strategy" is a one good to put it. Most people give it a bad name because they don't understand it. It gives you a really good idea what you can accomplish with your technique. Especially if you see a ground fighter (like Frank Mir) for instance be on top of his technique like no other.

A lot of people think you can pick it up easily. I don't think this at all. I think you should have a traditional martial arts background. Have at least 2 to 4 years training before you even consider it as a career choice.

The conditioning is really effective. Probably the best conditioning you have from a fitness stand point. And I also don't believe you have to have the standard styles for "MMA" what make's it unique is the fact people from all styles can test their technique against what is currently out there.

A lot of people think you can pick it up easily. I don't think this at all. I think you should have a traditional martial arts background. Have at least 2 to 4 years training before you even consider it as a career choice.

I think that there are a lot of people that feel this way, but I think that it is getting to the point that it isn't necessary. Take Boxing as an example. If you want to learn to Box, you go to the Boxing gym and take it up. I think that learning MMA style fighting is getting closer to going the same route. If you want to learn MMA, you can just go to the local MMA gym and sign up to learn. Most of them have the coaches needed to for the various areas of focus; Boxing, Muay Thai perhaps, and some kind of Grappling. Obviously, there will be elite gyms, and then more mainstream gyms, but I really think that this is the way it is going to be going in the near future (if it isn't already).

Agreed.

I'd say the state of the practice has already very much tilted in that direction. The base practices might be slightly different but the basic premis of a true "MMA" class is common.

As bushido man points out, some will be more recreational in nature. Others will turn out good locllevel competitive fighters and then there will be elite gyms and training facilities. The whole gambit.

So I do see the need for trad traning slipping for MMA competition. I do think that you'll still see fighters coming into the circuit from trad backgrounds. Either avanue will work. Some coming out of certain arts will have an eaiser time than others making hte adjustment. For instance,

a fighter out of MT or BJJ will probabaly face an easier transition just do to the training and high amount of crossover value.

I do think that too many new people, who enter either way are wanting to fight too soon these days. Get in, get s ome time on, have a few bad sparring days and some heavy contact. Sharpen your game and then look at taking fights.

Despite popular belief MMA is not a style, but a sport fighting competition and training methodology that allows two trained fighters to battle under a set of rules using any number of techniques from the stand-up striking styles to clinching, throwing and finally ground fighting styles.

As such, fighters in MMA train in striking and ground fighting techniques pulled from a number of disciplines - Brazilian Jiujitsu being one of them.

Brazilian Jiujitsu is a ground fighting style originated by the Gracie family of Brazil, that has evolved into being widely used for MMA competition. It is a full blown style that has it's own history, techniques, culture, competitions, etc.

The birth of MMA competition in the US began when Rorion Gracie, along with Art Davie and Rob Meyrowitz founded the first Ultimate Fighting Championship. Rorion's brother, Royce, dominated the early UFCs using Brazilian Jiujitsu.

While "MMA" on the whole is not a style, MMA as it is taught is certainly very far along the road to becoming a single style, and many would argue that it has long since passed the event horizon of such.

If you enter an MMA competition, you can theoretically train in whatever. In a Boxing tournament, you can theoretically train in Kung Fu and use entirely Kung Fu fist techniques.

If you go to learn how to fight in an MMA bout, you will hear lip service paid to open-ness and matches being an open forum, then you will be taught a very specific collection of techniques and stances with a specific methodology and direction and very specific theories about how combat works. That, to me, screams 'a style'.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Despite popular belief MMA is not a style, but a sport fighting competition and training methodology that allows two trained fighters to battle under a set of rules using any number of techniques from the stand-up striking styles to clinching, throwing and finally ground fighting styles.

I disagree. MMA is a style all its own. The way training is conducted in an MMA gym isn't too much different than it is done in a Boxing gym, and Boxing is its own style. I do think that learning a style or styles is a good supplement to MMA training, but in the end, it is its own animal.

If you go to learn how to fight in an MMA bout, you will hear lip service paid to open-ness and matches being an open forum, then you will be taught a very specific collection of techniques and stances with a specific methodology and direction and very specific theories about how combat works. That, to me, screams 'a style'.

I agree with you here. I do think that with the seeing MMA rise in popularity, we are witnessing the evolution of a style in our own time.