• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was reading an article in TKDTimes Magazine (yeah, another one...) on the topic of MMA. The author stated that MMA was more of a strategy than an art. What do you think? Do you feel that it is a strategy, or an art?

I personally feel that it is more art than strategy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of the opinion that it's become an art into itself.

It has it's own goals, outlooks, and strtegies within itself. It has a specific training methodology and drills.

It's draw upon other sources sure, but it has melded many skills into a cohesive workable unit. And it's is highly suitable for the enviornment for which it was designed (UFC type comps) and also highly adaptable for others (sd applications).

Without going to deep into this, I'm voting an art. Or at least its developing in that direction.

My first inclination is to say it's a strategy more than an art because of the ways you have to "strategize" to subdue your partner - and the different ways that exist to do that. But then, those reasons are why you feel it's an art. LOL

I guess it can be both, no?

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

It has it's own goals, outlooks, and strtegies within itself. It has a specific training methodology and drills.

I agree. A new art has been born, just so happening to have the word "mixed" in its full name, Mixed Martial Arts, born of an admixture of ingredients. And whatever any martial art posseses ("goals, outlooks . . . strategies . . . training methodology and drills" [Tallgeese]), you'll find in MMA.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

It's draw upon other sources sure, but it has melded many skills into a cohesive workable unit. And it's is highly suitable for the enviornment for which it was designed (UFC type comps) and also highly adaptable for others (sd applications).

Without going to deep into this, I'm voting an art. Or at least its developing in that direction.

But still talked about on a Karate forum??

I guess that Karate means something different in the US?

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

In the US, Wa-No-Michi, when you might want to look up martial arts schools, you might find a listing under "Karate" for all different types of martial arts. It's just like the home page of KarateForums.com, that there are all different martial arts, but they're under one "banner" for ease of access.

I guess it's that the public finds it easier to look under "Karate" rather than "Martial Arts."

BTW, martial arts schools listed in my hometown's web site are on the "Fitness Centers" web page! :)

Feel free to take a look:

http://www.bayonnenj.org/cgi-bin/database/read.pl?search=Fitness%20Athletic%20Karate%20Sport

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

joe is right, over here it's more of a catch all term now than anything. I've done kempo based arts since the beginning, after awhile I stopped trying to explain the difference and just told people I was going to karate. They don't know the difference and most don't care, the one's who do, now you've got a chance to recruit new talent.

Even though I teach a lot of mma type stuff these days, it's still referred to as "karate night" at my house.

Well, Karate isn't the only style discussed at this forum. It is one of only many discussed here. "Karate" as used here for the forum title in my mind is as a convenient name to attract Martial Artists to it. I think it rolls off the tongue nicely, and sounds better than MartialArtsForums.com does.

I see MMA as an art that requires strategy. It it and art on the leave you have to be good in some many diffrent individual arts kick boxing, grappling ect. Aslo you have to be able to strategize for diffrent opponents because everyone has diffrent strengths and weaknesses. So it's a bit of both.

Any good MA has strategy according the rules or context of the fight. MMA strategy is specific to one on one contest fighting. It's very effective and it's a strategy is continually improving.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"