• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long does it take to become a blackbelt?

- "if you was to do say karate and judo would it take you longer to get a black belt then doing them one at a time ?"

Depends how much you trained. If you did double the training, it should take about the same time (assuming you can absorb all the information).

If you split training half/half, well obviously it will take longer.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my school it generally takes about 3 years for a healthy, in-shape person. Due to injuries and arthritis, though, it sometimes takes longer for old people :lol:

When I test for my blackbelt in September, I will have been training for about 2 3/4 years... (getting really precise now hehe)

But that's just 'cos I'm special :angel:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

...was that supposed to be funny .... 'cos I'm not getting it :???:

As a younger person ... did it ever cross your mind that maybe the "old people" have more responsibilities outside of training than you do.

As a mother, wife, career person and an avid MA trainer, yes I do have injuries but I gotta tell you .... the younger kids seem to fall prone to more injuries in the dojo (as well as outside the dojo) than many of the "older" students. I find my childrens extracurricular activities, my household duties, overtime at work etc. etc. .... take precedent at times over my training schedule .... and more times than not, I manage to juggle ALL of them.

Now may I ask a question? Who is the bmore "avid" black belt ... the adult that has trained for 10 years, or the teen who trained for 2-3 years to get their black belt?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-01 16:55 ]

I've been training for about three and a half years in tae kwon do...I'm currently a red belt, going for high red on the 17th. After that I have brown, high brown, then the black belt tests wil start about 6-8 months later. So, in all I will probably be training for 4 and a half years before I get my black belt. In our dojang, if you are under 16 when you are at high brown, you will, 99% of the time, get a "junior black belt".

In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the other art I train, it usually takes anywhere from 6-12 years to earn black belt. As the Brazilians say, "There is no faking it on the mat", and rank isn't a measure of how much experience or time you've been training as much, it is mostly a testing of your grappling skill.

KickChick, lighten up. She was just joking. I don't believe in "better black belts" - as a 15 year old girl, I can beat most of the middle aged women in my dojang. That's probably just because I'm closer to my physical prime. She didn't mean to be offensive. Also, don't think you're the only one who is busy...teens have a lot of things to do with school, clubs, sports. If it takes someone 10 years to earn a black belt at the same school someone earned theirs in 2 years, they have met the same requirements, no?

Age ain't nothin but a #.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

And I thought it was the guys who boasted about their athletic prowess and how good they were at whooping up on everone else. :spitlaugh:

To be very honest I found that when I sparred with younger female classmates of a similar height that things were actually fairly equal. And that we had different ways to challange each other. That is when I sparred with those of the same rank. Because, I had been training longer to get there and had more experience the age thing became less relevant.

And remember sparring is not just about being in your physical prime. I has a lot to do with mental toughness and reactions. As well as knowing when an opening is coming and takeing advantage of it. One well place punch from a middle aged female can but a teenager on the other side of the room when timed properly. And vice versa.

Are you asking how long it takes to get a piece of black cloth, or how long it takes to acquire the skill associated with a black belt?

Two very different things.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

The black belt is only as good as the training that went into it, the standards that were met to earn it, and the instructor who awarded it. Getting your Black belt means everything and nothing. Everything for the avid devoted martial artist. Everything for the martial artist whose life depends on "expert" skill. (Webster's New World Dictionary a black belt is "awarded to an expert of the highest skill in judo or karate" ..... and nothing to those who were given their belt because they are passed out because you "have all your necessary lessons" or because "you're special".

threesixty -- no problem as far as taking a "joke" .... but I didn't find that funny (sorry)

And note: I didn't say "better" I said "avid" ...

Well said SaiFights :up:

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-01 18:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-01 18:07 ]

How long does it take to become a black belt? The more I think about it I don't see it as a state of skills acquird or tests passed. I am coming to see the true meaning of being a black belt as a mental condition. One that encompasses all the physical aspects expected of one in the art and school of the student as well as the incorporation of ideals and morals into everyday life. Respect and courtesy should seep into the world outside of the training hall. Honor should become a way of life. There are those who train for years and wear a strip of black material and are not truely mental black belts. There are some in lower kyu grades who are allready black belts in their minds.

Think and see if this makes any sense.

It takes almost 5 years to get a black belt in ITF TSD. My friend in Kuk Sool Won is testing for his b-belt today, he started training 2 months before me. And I'm not testing for mine for a year.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

it takes about 4 years minimum to get bb in our school

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi