• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long does it take to become a blackbelt?

Well said Saifight. I totally agree with that :smile: Which is why I told my instructor that I no longer wanted to be "rushed". I wanna take my time and develope my skills, instead of getting a rank I don't deserve, or not having the "mental" part down.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we grade about once every 3-4 months. we have 15 grades from white to black. thats about 4 half years to get black. and whats gonna slow me down even more is that when i go into the seniors class 16+ i go right back to white or yellow. that will add acouple of years. so i will truely earn my black belt.

*patience mike only 6 years left* :karate:

In my Aikido class, we have only White belt and Black belt. I have been in there for about 11 years, and I have yet to take the black belt exam. You know why? it consists of 4 martial artists of varying arts attacking you altogether, and you fending them off for ten minutes. If you do well, you get the black belt.

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

Depends on the system. I think that it should take at least five years to get your black belt. Even then you have to be above the age of 15 in my opinion. 6 ot 7 year old black belts are a bunch of crap. :evil:

dude it takes about 2 days by priority mail to get a black belt. check out AWMA.

But seriously, the goal is not the belt, the goal is the training, the belt is the measure. Too many people get to black belt and quit. People think black belt is the end, it's just the beginning. So forget about how long it takes to get to black belt. If you are a serious practitioner the time to your black belt will be insignificant compared to the rest of your career.

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig. After a few hours, you realize they both like it.

I think many people forget that some schools have more classes per week that others. I know some schools that only have 1 class a week. At our school we have 2 classes a week, and if you're an elite student, 3 classes a week. So when people start comparing years of training, 5 years of 1 class a week is just about equal to 2.5 years of 2 classes a week.

For me, I get a lot of training in one week. I have class on monday, wednesday, and friday. Also, on tuesday and thursday I teach a class and fight with the students. So, I atleast spar every weeknight. I also practice kata every night.

I'm a very fast learner, so it doesn't take me as long to learn proper technique as it does for some people.

I've only been "hurt" (enough to stop training) once. So, I haven't had as much down time as my Dad has, who has arthritis in his feet and has had to quit until further notice. (Monkeygirl and my mention of arthritis is not coincidental. She is my sister.)

When people hear that I will test for my black belt before completing 3 years, they think that I haven't had very good training. The truth is, I've had a lot of training, just over a short period of time.

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig. After a few hours, you realize they both like it.

On 2002-07-03 06:33, Sin Style wrote:

i dont think anyone could hold off 4 people even if the 4 people attacking didn't do martial arts, only way you could beat 4 people is to run and fight one by one jackie chan style

Heh heh. It is possible, just at a level of skill that most people can't even comprehend. It takes perfect technique, a non-panicked, calm mind, and a perfect understanding of what you're doing. Just keep moving, lead them where you're going, and don't let them surround you. It's a lot simpler than you may think.

Ever tried to jump an Aikido sensei? (-;

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P