• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long does it take to become a blackbelt?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each style has differant guidelines. However I would agree that it should be at LEAST 2 1/2 years. However if you test at every given test it can been done in just oover 2 in most styles.

Shotokan

It took me about 3 and a half years. I took my time on purpose. I did take off a few months each year for football season when I was playing but I still practiced on my own.

American Tao

Despite having a black belt already it took me 4 years to make my blackbelt in it however I did it in college and usually did not go to summer school so my training was more like 3.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I think it takes about 5 yrs in my style, two belts a year. Its a slow process but builds great fighters non of dat mcdojo bs, ya gotta werk for it. Too many ppl badmouth karate, they juss don't understand. Oh well to those who show respect, respect back to you and good luck on ur martial journy :karate:

"Live free.

Die well..."

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-26 21:35 ]

"Live free.

Die well..."

In my school, it takes roughly 4 to 5 years (two belts a year, 4 grades). Unless, you have experience. Then they advance you a little faster (like they did with me). I made green in 6 months. They wanted to get me back to my old rank. But I chose to slow down. I wanna take my time. I'm in no rush anymore. I wanna enjoy my training, instead of going so fast that I can't keep up.

Laurie F

Since my training went off and on throughout the 10 years I've been in TKD .... it took me a year and a half to earn my green belt (3rd belt in ITF TKD 1st adv. belt) .... and then I took a leave of absence to have a child, came back as a green and continued for 4 years to get my black. So approx. 5 years.

Our belt system has degrees to somewhat slow you down. From blue to 2nd deg. blue....brown to 2nd deg. brown and then Black. (for children an extra degree for each for a 3rd deg.)

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-26 21:45 ]

Same here, kickchick. We have white, (orange for kids), yellow, green, blue, brown, red, probationary BB (which is 6 months by itself), then black. But there is two degrees of each belt. We earn the belt, then we have to earn a stripe of the next color belt. Like I was a yellow belt/green stripe. I'll get a blue stripe in three months from now. But we also have to get so many classes to get each belt/stripe. Some only go twice a week, so it takes them 4 months (8 months each belt). But if you don't pass the BB test, you have to wait another 6 months (BB tests only run every six months).

Laurie F

I think its club dependent in our ITF TKD club is no maximum between belts to however, there is a minimum requirement.

White belt to yellow tag: 2 months

Yellow tag to yellow belt: 2 months

Yellow belt to green tag: 3 months

Green tag to green belt: 3 months

Green belt to blue tag: 3 months

Blue tag to blue belt: 3 months

Blue belt to red tag: 3 months

Red tag to red belt: 3 months

Red belt to black tag 4 months

Black tag to first-degree Black belt: 6 months

First-degree black belt to second-degree black belt: 2 years

Second-degree to third degree: 3 years

Third degree to forth-degree: 4 years (international instructor)

Forth degree to fifth degree: 5 years

Fifth degree to sixth degree: 6 years

Sixth degree to seventh degree: 7 years (master)

Seventh degree to eighth degree: 8 years

Eighth degree to ninth degree: 9 years (grandmaster)

Traditional Wing Chun is skills and knowledge based with no minimum time frame with the exception of a minimum four months training period when grading to instructor. I don't know the time period or the requirements to grade to master, and there is only one grandmaster (William Cheung). The grading structure is:

White sash: level 1.0, 1.1, 1.2

Light blue sash: level 2.0, 2.1, 2.2

Medium blue sash level 3.0, 3.1, 3.2

Dark blue sash: level 4.0, 4.1, 4.2

Light brown sash: level 5.0, 5.1, 5.2

Dark brown sash: level 6.0, 6.1, 6.2

Black sash: level 7.0, 7.1, 7.2

Grey sash: level 8.0, 8.1, 8.2

Light green sash: level 9.0, 9.1, 9.2

Gold sash (instructor): level 10 (4 months minimum training)

Red sash (master): Level 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 11.5, 11.6

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do