• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting

The BB of C

Take a look at this video I just stumbled upon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUn49eYZH4&feature=related

I wondered what the karate practitioners of this forum would think about it. Especially the parts with the young women learning the moves so quickly.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that in many MA styles, if not all, you can find many techniques that are quite simple to do. Granted, these are done in fairly static situations, and when some drunk grabs your lapel, I'd bet that trying to attack the pressure point on the inside of the elbow may not be enough to deter his intentions.

But, it doesn't mean that it can't be the beginning of a combination that would push the attacker away. In any case, it is the simple aspects of the arts that make learning them easier in the beginning, and moving to more advanced stuff as time goes by.

i liked that he showed them the pressure points but he should have showed them a way of doing them with more force and in a way were they would not have to struggle. just quick release so that they would be able to get away.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I wondered what the karate practitioners of this forum would think about it. Especially the parts with the young women learning the moves so quickly.

The women used a ribcage strike, a simple move that has to be remembered in that the first thought is about his arms on them. Maybe the size/height difference worked in their favor for this one. The inner elbow pressure point technique was against a man wearing a coat, so if he felt it, it's a good one. Simple and straightforward; that's the way to do it.

That throat strike was interesting in that there's a feint to cause the adversary to move his head and so expose his neck right where you want to poke. Clever.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Take a look at this video I just stumbled upon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUn49eYZH4&feature=related

I loved this show! It was a series that was on TV not too long ago - I enjoyed watching all of the episodes and I remember this one in particular too.

The techniques they showed the girls doing are actually quite simple to do, I've actually tried the one where she spins around and found it very effective on my partner - LOL. :D

Sometimes the most simple techniques can be the most effective ones.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Sometimes the most simple techniques can be the most effective ones.

Yep. That's why so much importance is placed on the basics in so many schools.

It is basic Kyusho Jitsu, and look how effective it is even for a small female with little or no training. Imagine what this stuff is like in the more advanced stages (devastating). Yet people discount it and say it is too hard to do, that’s a good escape for lack of knowledge IMO.

If you have doubts it is real,

Master Corn has a Kyusho seminar in Indiana, Dec 13th & 14th if anyone is interested, I can get you the info for it.

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

However, let's look at how seriously these attacks were fed to her. It's anything but a realistic simulation done agaisnt a determined adversary. Pain compliance is one thing, but it dosen't mechanically stop a big pain-filled hook punch from countering.

I'm not saying the stuff has no application. I'm just saying that I rarely see this kind of thing demonstrated against attackers whose sims are even close to determined.

And I do think that there is a good arguement to be made that other highly-valuable sd skills can be learned in a much quicker, more intuitive to the weatern mind and experiance, fashion. This isn't to say that study of pressure points is not a valid sd outlet. As time goes on and I can't bang as hard as I do now, it's on my list of things to signifigantly delve into. But I just don't see this clip as awe inspiring.

No the clip is not awe inspiring. Also of course they arent feeding the attacks to the women, they have no training, The first day a white belt is in class you wouldnt come at him with everything you have and tell him use that block and punch you just learned 5 min. ago.

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

No, but I'd work on it under increasing "live" conditions, even on the first day. I usually try to immediatley incorporate some sort of negitive as well, that afore mentioned hook, say. To start the trainees thinking about the potental consequences of real fights.

There is alot of good training ground that can be covered between no realism and full on assults. It's kind of off topic, but too often I see practitioners not make any progess to the latter after learning the former.