• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Curse of the purple belt.

I attent a fairly new school and my husband and I are currently the senior students. The Curse of the Purple belt is something I am fearing. The last two senior students got their purple belts a few months ago. One guy quit and went to college, the other broke a rib and quit karate. This is why we are now the seniors.

Our purple belt test is on Saturday so fingers crossed no evil will befall us.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Curse of the Purple belt is something I am fearing. . . .

Have you ever heard of the curse of the "0" year for US presidents, Shotokan? The winner of the 1840 presidential election, William Henry Harrison, died in office within a month. The winner of the 1860 election, Abraham Lincoln, was assassinated during his second term. The winner of the 1880, James Garfield, was assassinated during his first year. The winner of the 1900 presidential election, William McKinley, was also assassinated. The 1920 winner, Warren G. Harding, died in office. The 1940 winner, Franklin Roosevelt, also died while in office. The winner of the 1960 election, John F. Kennedy, was assassinated.

Then the winner of the 1980 presidential election, Ronald Reagan, was shot--but survived; by the time he exited office, he achieved being the oldest president we've ever had. And it looks like George W. Bush is going to make it till his term ends at noon on January 20, 2009.

No curse, then a "curse" that was a steady stream, and back to no curse. I think you'll both do fine, Shotokan.

Good luck to you and your husband.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Hey that's really interesting. Thank goodness Reagan broke the curse.

I told my sensei my purple belt fear. Kinda wish he'd give us some other belt, but that's the way these colors go so it's got to be that way. Thanks for your support and that story helps give me hope that the curse can be broken :)

Do you think a belt is going to decide your fate? A piece of cloth that is died and tied isn't really going to have that much affect on what you do in the future. I'd say not to sweat it. You'll be fine. :)

I'm a woman so my irrational fears should not be questioned. It goes with the territory. Much like I fear dead bugs but not live bugs.

That being said I do appreciate the support and I think it's within me to decide if the purple belt will be my undoing, which it will NOT!

I attent a fairly new school and my husband and I are currently the senior students. The Curse of the Purple belt is something I am fearing. The last two senior students got their purple belts a few months ago. One guy quit and went to college, the other broke a rib and quit karate. This is why we are now the seniors.

That's ok, I'm superstitious like that sometimes too. I think sometimes its just nature taking its course. As you move up the ranks and become more senior, other things in life take priority and martial arts is forced to move to second place in life, so you either have to quit or can't attend as often. Sometimes, anyway.

As far as the injuries go, I can't really comment on that because I've certainly had my share of breaks, knocks, bumps & bruises even BEFORE I've reach BB level, but I just take a break, heal up and then I go back.

Besides, wasn't the "curse of the Bambino" broken too ?? :-? :)

I think you will just be fine! :D :wink: :wink: :wink:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

True! and let us not forget the Philadelphia Curse of William Penn which was just broken this year! Actually the guy who quit due to injury broke his rib while at work so I think that's more of a -you can't do Karate and collect workmans comp at the same time- situation.

True! and let us not forget the Philadelphia Curse of William Penn which was just broken this year! Actually the guy who quit due to injury broke his rib while at work so I think that's more of a -you can't do Karate and collect workmans comp at the same time- situation.

Darn it ! :( :o

I didn't know that. :D :lol:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert