fujau

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are based in the UK, I think I can remember you guys on the open comp circuit in the 80s, as thats when I used to compete, although I seem to remember then, Lau Gar was more like Kick Boxing.

At the time there was a guy called Neville Ray (sp?) who headed up the uk branch with another guys called Kevin ??? ... can't remember his surname.

Small world.

So anyway Fujau, I sense there is more to your inquiries than just being vaguely interested in Karate. Are you thinking of starting training in Karate and trying to find one that is closest to your Lau Gar roots

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

this is what i found

IMAO i can see the power generation but it does look a exaggerated and looks like he is trying to go fast loosing technique

where this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Y_Lpf985c

imao

looks better small hip movement nice power generation looks firmer and show more intent in the power is this the shortest range of techniques in wado ie the distance in striking

I dont know who these guys are as I am not in the Karate circles

again general interest in karate and in power generation

As Wa-No-Michi pointed out, these are two different styles of Karate, but I can really see the differences between the two. I liked the second vid better. On the first one, although the guy's hand movements were quick, he did a lot of opening and closing his hands, and used that zippy circular motion to make his techniques quick. I didn't notice as much hip usage with his kata, either.

Still, both look much better than I could make it look.

If you are based in the UK, I think I can remember you guys on the open comp circuit in the 80s, as thats when I used to compete, although I seem to remember then, Lau Gar was more like Kick Boxing.

At the time there was a guy called Neville Ray (sp?) who headed up the uk branch with another guys called Kevin ??? ... can't remember his surname.

Small world.

So anyway Fujau, I sense there is more to your inquiries than just being vaguely interested in Karate. Are you thinking of starting training in Karate and trying to find one that is closest to your Lau Gar roots

Wow yeah small world

Neville Wray is still there taller than ever and still does lau

Keven Brewton has left now and still does kick boxing i believe he spends more time in the states. Not that i know him you just here it through the grapevine

Lau Gar has never been kick boxing par say there is a lot more than meet the eye when you fight a lau fighter admittedly I am probably the worst to demonstrate ha ha But we still fight in a street traditional way. Not the films lol

I will never leave lau it is my roots my blood. I was just interested in Karate power generation I travel up and down the country attending courses and extra training with the likes of Ian waite and tom muncy who came in the Uk last year there roots are in Karate and Kenpo and other japanese styles I know they are not the same. But you meet new people learning different stuff.

Very much what was said in the earlier post. about learning chen it sometimes takes anoter style to learn about your own.

ie we all can speak english but if you try and learn french or another language it often makes you understand english better because you start cross referencing between language.

In reference to wado someone told me that there was a split I think about 1990s could be wrong

this is what i found

IMAO i can see the power generation but it does look a exaggerated and looks like he is trying to go fast loosing technique

where this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Y_Lpf985c

imao

looks better small hip movement nice power generation looks firmer and show more intent in the power is this the shortest range of techniques in wado ie the distance in striking

I dont know who these guys are as I am not in the Karate circles

again general interest in karate and in power generation

As Wa-No-Michi pointed out, these are two different styles of Karate, but I can really see the differences between the two. I liked the second vid better. On the first one, although the guy's hand movements were quick, he did a lot of opening and closing his hands, and used that zippy circular motion to make his techniques quick. I didn't notice as much hip usage with his kata, either.

Still, both look much better than I could make it look.

In my eyes the japanese guy looked more karate and is what i would expect if i saw it in a comp or dojo IMAO

Small world.

Wow yeah small world

Neville Wray is still there taller than ever and still does lau

Keven Brewton has left now and still does kick boxing i believe he spends more time in the states. Not that i know him you just here it through the grapevine

Lau Gar has never been kick boxing par say there is a lot more than meet the eye when you fight a lau fighter admittedly I am probably the worst to demonstrate ha ha But we still fight in a street traditional way. Not the films lol

I will never leave lau it is my roots my blood. I was just interested in Karate power generation I travel up and down the country attending courses and extra training with the likes of Ian waite and tom muncy who came in the Uk last year there roots are in Karate and Kenpo and other japanese styles I know they are not the same. But you meet new people learning different stuff.

Very much what was said in the earlier post. about learning chen it sometimes takes anoter style to learn about your own.

ie we all can speak english but if you try and learn french or another language it often makes you understand english better because you start cross referencing between language.

In reference to wado someone told me that there was a split I think about 1990s could be wrong

Kevin Brewton!!! I knew it was something like that!!

Your passion for Lau sounds very much like mine for Wado, from what I understand of Lau it is also an art with great depth.

I agree with your take on learning from other arts to appreciate / better understand yours, as (primarily for this reason) I also study jujutsu and kenjutsu, but not as often as I would like. Only so many hours in the day.

FYI, there is still only one style of Wado, but (like most other major styles) there is more than one organisation that practice Otsuka's art. Today, the JKF Wadokai, Wado-ryu Renmei and Wado Kokusai are considered to be the three major groups.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

FYI, there is still only one style of Wado, but (like most other major styles) there is more than one organisation that practice Otsuka's art. Today, the JKF Wadokai, Wado-ryu Renmei and Wado Kokusai are considered to be the three major groups.

Is there any variations in the main 3 organizations when I mean variations i mean Katas one organization this way another that. And if so why

the reason for the question we are always taught nothing is wrong as long as it is done properly with in reason does Karate instill a very structured syllabus and nothing is different through the organizations.

Is there any variations in the main 3 organizations when I mean variations i mean Katas one organization this way another that. And if so why

the reason for the question we are always taught nothing is wrong as long as it is done properly with in reason does Karate instill a very structured syllabus and nothing is different through the organizations.

Hi fujau,

I would have to say that kata wise, there is very little variation between the three major groups. Obviously you are always going to get individuals putting their own stamp on things to an extent, but in the most part the defining principles of Wado can be seen in all three.

There is little written about Wado, and less by Otsuka himself, who wrote in total 2 books I believe. One has only been printed in Japanese and the other features the 9 main katas of Wado. You also have to bear in mind that Otsuka developed his art over a considerable length of time, so we see some of his older students (Mr Suzuki etc) embark on his journey with a slightly different Wado to say someone like Mr Takagi who is considerably younger. Both were students of Otsuka, but arguably the Karate they learned differs slightly.

Otsuka is also quoted as saying something to the tune of "Wado is not complete". Indicating that it would and should continue to evolve. To understand this, you need to know about the Japanese concept of "Shu-Ha-Ri" and how it applies to both the Karate-ka and the Karate style itself. There is a commonly held belief that within the system of Wado that Otsuka created, there are areas that have been intentionally left loose to allow for this process. So given its very nature, there is bound to be some variation between the Wado practiced in each group.

The key thing though is the Wado principles remain constant.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now ;)

Errrh actually no i find this very interesting.

What are the principles of wado In lau we have 8 main power generations (gings) of sink, swallow, spit, stamp, bounce, shake, pull & startle plus the 16 subdivides gings it gets very complicated.

Does wado have any of these concepts or distinct power generations ?

You can look at any art on the surface but you never understand the depth of the style which is some times missing or overlooked or forgotten.

Competitions are fine when you are younger lol but alot of people sometimes forget the true art and what it is about and forget what it was designed for Basically to destroy your oppenent in the quickest way I dont know if this has been watered down in the so called sporting world for being PC But i really love the history and development of the styles from the start to the never ending and the understanding of kyusho and relaying that into your forms/katas and the healing side of qi gong is like opening pandoras box. :D

Errrh actually no i find this very interesting.

What are the principles of wado In lau we have 8 main power generations (gings) of sink, swallow, spit, stamp, bounce, shake, pull & startle plus the 16 subdivides gings it gets very complicated.

Does wado have any of these concepts or distinct power generations ?

You can look at any art on the surface but you never understand the depth of the style which is some times missing or overlooked or forgotten.

Competitions are fine when you are younger lol but alot of people sometimes forget the true art and what it is about and forget what it was designed for Basically to destroy your oppenent in the quickest way I dont know if this has been watered down in the so called sporting world for being PC But i really love the history and development of the styles from the start to the never ending and the understanding of kyusho and relaying that into your forms/katas and the healing side of qi gong is like opening pandoras box. :D

Without seeing examples of the power generation techniques you mention (shake, pull startle etc.), I could not really say whether Wado employs the same processes to generate power.

The principles I was referring to encompass more that power generation per se although at the end of the day, all roads lead to Rome I suppose. Anyway, here are a couple web sites that list most of these:

https://www.sannoya.com/principles.htm

This following site details mores than just the basic principles and if you click on the arrow next to the description you can read further info.

https://www.art-of-budo.com/techniques.htm

Cheers

WNM