• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fa ging

fujau

I've been on the recieving end of strikes with similar effects, but they have usually been from a stepping type punch (oi zuki, lunge punch).

The point of true effectiveness of a stepping punch is from anytime after the feet have come into line though, and this has little to do with forward momentum. So I don't see any reason why the punch in the link shouldn't have the effect which is shown.

Any good practitioner of Wing Chun should be able to do this without any hip twisting, sine wave, dropping, stepping or whatever other power generating technigue one cares to mention.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info guys

Yeah I have been on the receiving end as well at the end I had a severe coughing fit and the other well I was on all fours with no energy in me totally deflated but with breath.

I guess experience counts for everything :lol: but it hurts

Any good practitioner of Wing Chun should be able to do this without any hip twisting, sine wave, dropping, stepping or whatever other power generating technigue one cares to mention.

Are you saying here that the strike is just from arm strength? I guess I don't understand exactly what you mean here, but it sounds like you just use the arm strength in the technique.

Are you saying here that the strike is just from arm strength? I guess I don't understand exactly what you mean here, but it sounds like you just use the arm strength in the technique.

There is no arm strength involved it bascially moves in mind follows breath follows energy (Ging) (or the Chines would like to call it chi as he ducks for cover from the non believers ) If you relax and punch is the best way of understanding it is following the four learning principles

1 - unconscious incompetence

2 - conscious incompetence

3 - conscious competence

4 - unconscious competence

the last one is where you want to be he dosent think of being stiff for power because that will slow him down and reduce speed

the wing chun practitioner will never be stiff until the last moment of impact which should follow majority of fighting arts

the closest thing i know of in my system that would cause devastatiob to the organs would be what we call 7 10 punches. what i does is the punch hit slower than it is recoiled and it causes the organs to be spread apart and as you withdraw they snap back together causing extreme pain. a good example is the kiai punches in Naihanchi Shodan

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

fujau. I've been practicing Chen Tai Chi for about 3 years now. Yes, it does seem to place more emphasis on the martial side than other Tai Chi styles. I've practiced other martial arts for many years and Tai Chi has unlocked many doors for my which has helped with my karate.

Bushido man. What fujau said really. It has nothing to do with arm strength. The secret is not to try to use any strength.

The simplest thing I can liken it to is hitting a golf ball. If you try your best to hit it as hard and as far as possible then the chances are you'll fluff it.

If you do a perfect relaxed swing and everything come together just right the ball will go far and you won't even realise that you've hit the ball at all. It was effortless but the ball went far.

The timing, breathing, body condition, body structure, mind all need to be correct.

Not easy, but definately achievable.

I mention Wing Chun because it is probably the most combative of the Chinese arts, but it's the same in Xing Yi and Tai Chi. It's funny that these arts all seem to be practiced in a more smooth and relaxed state than the external systems.

fujau. I've been practicing Chen Tai Chi for about 3 years now. Yes, it does seem to place more emphasis on the martial side than other Tai Chi styles. I've practiced other martial arts for many years and Tai Chi has unlocked many doors for my which has helped with my karate.

COOL

Thats a great philosophy to have

I have attend karate course as well as TKD all knowledge is good knowledge but my roots will always will be with lau But Likewise chen has shown me things as well.

I am not buying this one at all, really. It looked like a set-up act, to me. I just don't buy into the transfer of internal energy into another object.

I am with bushido_man on this one. I think it projects the wrong impression also.

To be honest, my interpretation of chi (ki) probably differs from yours fujau, but I can't help sense from your posts that you are trying to suggest that somehow Chinese arts have a deeper understanding of the "ethereal" strengths contained within ma.

It doesn't take a great deal of experience in any ma to realise that remaining relaxed during any physical activity will promote a greater bio-mechanical efficiency.

Sorry to be the boring git here, but there are absolutely no techniques that are unique to one system, or for that matter an inner force that is not realised by any good martial system in one shape or another. Its how your system promotes these techniques that may differ.

Its all about basic physics at the end of the day, with the right mindset and good honest training.

Edited by Wa-No-Michi

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Agreed. It's primarily about physics and utilizing proper movement that allows a good transfer of energy. That's about it.