• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fa ging

fujau

As I am based in TCMA I was wondering does KARATE have any energy punches/strikes like kung fu or Tai Chi if so what are they called and do you have any examples of them striking on You tube etc

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I am based in TCMA I was wondering does KARATE have any energy punches/strikes like kung fu or Tai Chi if so what are they called and do you have any examples of them striking on You tube etc

All punches (karate or otherwise) are the sum of kinetic, potential and rotational energy.

So yes Karate has "Energy" punches.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

All punches (karate or otherwise) are the sum of kinetic, potential and rotational energy.

There is a bit more to it than an energy punch than kinetic, potential and rotational energy.

Dont get me wrong you guys do punch with tremendous power but i was talking to a guy the other day and he mentioned that Karate has a similar punch what tcma call fa ging energy transfer but he called it something different in Japanese he said that karate has it but not many people are aware of it. I dont know about this as I am not to familiar with Karate.

The punch is not desigined to blast it ways through the target it is designed strike internal so the pain felt not on the surface but on organs to disrupt the function Tai chi does it a lot especially in chen

any thoughts

Many thanks

There is a bit more to it than an energy punch than kinetic, potential and rotational energy.

Dont get me wrong you guys do punch with tremendous power but i was talking to a guy the other day and he mentioned that Karate has a similar punch what tcma call fa ging energy transfer but he called it something different in Japanese he said that karate has it but not many people are aware of it. I dont know about this as I am not to familiar with Karate.

The punch is not desigined to blast it ways through the target it is designed strike internal so the pain felt not on the surface but on organs to disrupt the function Tai chi does it a lot especially in chen

any thoughts

Many thanks

Hi fujau,

Actually, I was being facetious. Of course there is a lot more to a punch than the generating of energy such as; timing, distance, striking point, penetration depth and kime (focus) etc, etc.

But thats down to how you apply the techniques. Nothing to do with a mystical transfer of energy that is unique to any one style.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

Hi fujau,

Actually, I was being facetious. Of course there is a lot more to a punch than the generating of energy such as; timing, distance, striking point, penetration depth and kime (focus) etc, etc.

But thats down to how you apply the techniques. Nothing to do with a mystical transfer of energy that is unique to any one style.

Hi WNM

I never said anything mystical energy transfer this is what i was referring to

sorry should of shown the link first

these are the chinese way the second link is a tai chi form the fa ging or jing is where the body reverbs with the strike like a shake

just wondered if you had that sort of thing in Karate thats all

Please there is no mystic super powers :brow:

Hi fujau,

Hi WNM

I never said anything mystical energy transfer this is what i was referring to

sorry should of shown the link first

these are the chinese way the second link is a tai chi form the fa ging or jing is where the body reverbs with the strike like a shake

just wondered if you had that sort of thing in Karate thats all

Please there is no mystic super powers :brow:

Hmmm! maybe not, however there may be highly tuned powers of persuasion being used in the first vid. :roll:

It reminds me a little bit of the Kiai master vids.

That said I am not entirely cynical as yes these type of punches do exist in Karate. They dont have a specific name (as far as I am aware) but the do emphasis speed and relaxation. We often refer to it a leaving the energy in your oponent.

There is a vertical fist strike in Seishan kata that is best delivered in a relaxed "circular motion" this is said to be performed with "virtually" no apparent Kime.

Remember also there is a huge range of Karate styles varying from soft circular (internal styles) to hard linear styles.

By mystical powers I presume that it is qi, chi, ki, prana, universal life force etc that is being refered to. Whilst I do believe in the existence of this energy, I do not beleive that it is this energy that is being transfered or shot out like a bolt of lightning during these strikes.

I believe that to perform these kind of strikes, which do not push the recipient away but drops them on the spot is all to do with timing, body structure and body condition.

If you've never experienced the difference in the force then it's difficult to explain the feeling. But there is a considerable difference.

Fa jing can perhaps be likened to something called "kime" in Karate. This could be described as focusing all your energy at one instant.

The only karate style that I have experienced the fa jing type of strikes is KDS Shotokai, but they do not use kime and Sensei Harada completely dismisses the concept of kime.

Fa jing is very evident in the Chen Tai Chi Cannon Fist form.

I would think that it is "kime" that the guy you were speaking to was refereing to.

Yes, I mentioned Kime in both my previous posts.

The subject of Kime is a bit of a moot point in Karate circles.

Like you say moriniuk, in some styles the use of it is heavily promoted, wheres in others (mine included) its use is so small it is practically immesurable. Many senior Wado instructors also argue that it doesnt exists at all.

It comes back the the type (hard / soft) style thing.

Its like when you hit a suspended punch bag and you make the chain hum.

I am not buying this one at all, really. It looked like a set-up act, to me. I just don't buy into the transfer of internal energy into another object.