• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 months later...

Since you're reading Total Aikido now, I reccomend you read Aikido - The Complete Basic Techniques next or maybe get ahold of it before you're done with total Aikido. I've never taken an Aikido class before, but I feel if you have a good understanding of how your body moves and applying leverage and such then you can get a lot of out both books. The Complete Basic Techniques is a good companion to Total Aikido because there are some different explanations and pictures to get a little different point of view.

I've been a big fan of Gozo Shioda since I read Dynamic Aikido some years ago. His "harder" approach to Aikido than many others, really make you feel that Aikido really is a viable method of self defense as well as a stunning martial art.

Not the "Y"!! A good school!!! I gotta learn Karate!!!

• 3 months later...

A question for the aikidoka/JJJ people out there: What is your usual entry for this throw? I've been tampering with throwing in (no pun intended) some classical JJJ in class, but while I have been getting better with figuring out how to use Nikkajyo for instance during sparring, I can't really think of how to set this one up without the other person pulling or turning out, leaving me in a bad position.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

In English the name means 'four directional throw'. It's a popular move in Aikido, but it's also found in classical JJJ.

As a note, due to the nature of this throw I don't plan on using it during sparring since you can badly tweak the other persons arm if they don't take the fall correctly. That's true with any throw, but since you don't see this one very often I don't want someone to mess up and get hurt. Rather I want to be able to get to the setup in an active environment without executing the technique fully (sub wrestling, not judo).

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Ok, now I can say I've seen it. Even trained with it, it's a throwback to my systems AJJ roots.

The typical entry I use for it is off a knife thrust. It's usually from a low attack and parry with the back of the cross hand. The limb is controlled and the joint position moved into. It's an abbreviated motion, like most of AJJ tends to be.

I can say that I've never found it that effective in any other setting. There are simply too many variables and small joint positions, particularly the more complex ones. However, edged weapons change the complexion of a conflict enough that control of the holding limb become paramount, making this sort of position much more attractive.

We don't treat it so much as a throw as we do a joint destruction.

While most throws that I see in other styles have a judo equivalent, this one looked unique enough that I wanted to try it out. Thus even though I couldn't see how I would use it in an active setting, I figured it'd be worth a shot to quiz the fine folks here on karateforums. I guess my initial impressions weren't too far off though...too bad. I am however liking playing with wrist locks like kote gaeshi in BJJ even if shiho nage doesn't enter my arsenal anytime soon. :karate:

~Theodore Roosevelt