• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate philosophy of Sensei Pat Nakata

bushido_man96

I was reading an interview in Classical Fighting Arts magazine with Sensei Pat Nakata, and toward the end of the interview he was asked to share his philosophy on Karate training.

He answered that he had no philosophy toward Karate training, but to train hard. Nothing fancy, nothing really deep. Just good, old fashioned, hard work in training. I found it refreshing to see this. I know that many members here already know my outlook on various MA philosophies and beliefs. This one is one that I like.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That was my thought as well. Hard training can develop all kinds of intrapersonal aspects, like dedication, perserverance, indomintable spirit, and the like.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't argue with the man. Heck, read my signature :wink: . Amungst ourselves we can talk a big game, philosophically and there is nothing wrong with that, but when you boil it down to bare bones, hard work is the key to good training.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Hey, who says all this philosophical thinking and debate isn't hard work? :wink:

In all seriousness, I completely agree with him as well, but I've found that it's taken my restless young mind all that thinking and consideration, and over-complication to finally be able to realize that it's the simple, straightforward path that always works the best.

Maybe it's all part of the maturing process, or maybe it's just my own individual experience, but with all the mystique and superstition surrounding the martial arts, especially in our 'movie magic' culture, who but a master could bring it back to such a sobering reality?

(Or am I over-complicating things again? :lol: )

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 8 months later...
I can't remember who said it, but heard a saying to the affect of "a battle is won based upon how hard you train"

Yeah, no matter how the saying goes, it's solid. I'm more familiar with the saying that goes..."You fight how you train!" Nonetheless, both are solid in both their meaning and intent!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 7 months later...

I can't rally agree with this... :D

Not that I wouldn't believe you can become a great fighter on that.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins