• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A happy man who failed his stripe test last night

I failed the test last night.............I spent so much time preparing myself physically, until i forgot to mentally prepare.

I worked hard on all 14 Katas but forgot to work on the bo kata that i knew like the back of my hand.

I was sure that the bo kata would be one of the first one performed........guess what it was the last one .i did 14 katas very well , and forgot the bo kata my favorite one.

This was the format of the testing ....teaching the class.......going through the warm ups,the basics explaining each technique then doing them at full speed with power.

Then came the self defense, we did 30 self defense techniques by this time i am really pumped up.

Disarming weapons from an opponent, takedowns with finishing techniques,10 one step promise fights.......circle fights, and then kats.

all went well until I noticed i began to get worn out....when i did the bo kata i forgot two moves and screwed it all up.

My instructor informed me in front of the class that I didn't pass.

Man was I happy.............I didn't get disappointed or upset.

I knew that my instructor believed I could pass...........he had confidence in my aBILITY, AND STILL DOES.

For me I knew I had screwed up and didn't want to pass.

I don't want rank given to me I want to EARN it.

So back to hard training and mental preparation.

OSU

brown belt kyokushinkia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For me I knew I had screwed up and didn't want to pass.

I don't want rank given to me I want to EARN it.

So back to hard training and mental preparation.

You're the kind of person who doesn't want something handed to him or her, Kyokushin. You're a realist regarding the test as well as your abilities, and you've taken this quite philosophically.

Your instructor must be proud to say, "This is my student."

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I love you attitude in this situation. Mental preperation is the toughest thing to do for a big promotion. I once failed a test early in my karate carreer and it helped me out tremendously. Keep pushing forward you'll get what you what you work for.

kyokushin_coe - true, mental preparation is half of it all.

Chalk it up as a learning experience - it happens to all of us. Next time you'll breeze on right through.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

That is a great attitude to have. Also, realizing what you are capable of, and should have performed, makes you look really good, too, I think.

It still sounds like you did very well. What rank were you testing for anyways? If you had to do 14 kata, you must have been going for a more advanced rank.

I wish all students had the same mental attitude you have. No sense on getting upset, just chalk it up as experience and keep going.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

What rank were you testing for anyways? If you had to do 14 kata, you must have been going for a more advanced rank.

I remember being told that, in my art, if it's a minor error at a lower belt rank, the examining judge can make arrangements with the instructor about retesting that error within a shorter period of time, like a month. But if it's a higher rank, then the waiting period is until the next regular testing time, and it's the full test all over again.

I felt badly for a woman who trained intensely for a dan test and made an error that caused failure. She has to wait a year for her re-test, and it'll be the entire test again.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I too botched a bo kata way back in the day. Yes, I know, everyone's jaw just hit the floor....I did do kata at one point, well kind of- a few.

I started it, finsihed it, and did nothing inbetween the two extended portions thereof. Luckily, even back before we pretty much did away with kata all together (I think some of our guys might still teach some) they were not weighed very heavily and I passed anyway. Still, I have yet to live that moment down entirely.

On a serious note though, you're handling it very well. Good job and I'm sure you'll pass next time thru.