• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kick! kick!kick! that is all you need to do. it is either "kick or be kicked" which do you prefer? plus, everyone has looked like an idiot at one point in time in the MA career. go for it. also, DON'T BACK UP!

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

• 4 weeks later...

to the first poster of the topic

whats the rank of the gold belt for your club? i.e. is it level 1, 2 or 3 e.t.c.

if i had a club i was thinking of devising a gold belt syllabus as well, but i'm still researching.

for your first few lessons of sparring i suggest you listen to the instructor/teacher, then once you saw what moves they told you can use and showed you how to do it then from then on you can basically go at it.

use basic techniques, the opponents you fight should all know that your a beginner and they would be gentle with you, so dont be scared of making your moves. start throwing out basic moves like jabs, reverse punches, front kicks, round kicks, do one technique aiming at your opponent and then block one of the opponent technique to balance the spar out. always stick to simple moves for your first few spars. do not perform complex moves because when you dont do it properly the chances are you gona cause an injury to yourself. anyway remember to be confident and safe and test the moves you learnt for your first few sparring sessions.

• 1 month later...

ive been doing wing chun kung fu for a while and ive just started vovinam (martial arts of vietnam). ive found that it ish best to keep your guard up at all times, even when throwing a punch, kick or block. with one handed blocks (most of them) you should still keep your free hand guarding you face. remembaer to always protect your face. always move around so that your opponent never gets a clear shot at you, but don't over do it because you'll tire yourself out.

if your scared wait for your opponent to make the first move, retreat then when they are unbalanced (after they follow through an miss). you should counter straight away.

http://pcorp.azn.nu | phuong nguyen | wckf | vovinam

don't worry about looking like an idiot, but more importantly, don't worry about whether or not you are getting "beat" when practicing. Learn from your mistakes, emulate others, and always keep your guard up. :)

I've gotten into the habit of stepping back away from the engagement when i hear the term "STOP!" in case the other person doesn't hear. Headgear and adrenaline is great for causing tunnel vision and deafness :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.