• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to sparring

I sparred again this past Monday night. Went well until I have to spar with a teenage girl (had never sparred before, no control at all) We sparred and when the instructor said to stop she nailed me in the ribs. (I heard him and I guess I should have made sure I was clear of her before I let my guard down! )

I learned a valueable(sp?) lesson!

I can't wait to spar again this saturday! :nod:

~*KarateMom*~

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o .....Argh don't let monkeygirl hear yousay that!! :lol: :lol:

... yes, that was a very valuable lesson KarateMom! (NEVER take your eyes off your opponent for any reason!)

Spar as if you had "blinders' on ... all your attention should be directed on your opponent and block out all outside "interference" ...except keeping your ears open to the word "STOP" :D

:spitlaugh:

No worries about looking dumb. Every single one of us has been in the same boat a you at one time or another. You never learn until you jump in and get your feet wet. I advise the following:

1. Train with people better than you. You do this, and you will be an excellant all around fighter.

2. Train in Ju-Jitsu.....You MUST learn how to handle yourself if the fight goes to the ground.

3. Train with other people.....get your knowledge wherever you can. Dont limit yourself to any 1 style....take up another one just for fun. Kenpo is my mother style, but I am also profieciant in Shorin-Ryu, KajuKenbo, and Shotokan...helps me be a world champion.

Most of all have fun, and remember this......Fighting is 95% mental, and 5% physical.

Good Luck

I agree with Team Havok, exept it is obvious that you are a beginner, and training in more than one style is hrad when you are a newbie....so I recommend training for atleast a year, in the style that you are in. Then move on to something different...but dont forget your roots. For they gave your habits, and taught the beginning of things!

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

It is funny you stay that KarateMom. Everybody thinks that MA is so brutal, but we actually have a low occurence of injuries. Most injuries happen outside of class.

So far as you sparring. Make sure you listen to your instructor for instructions while you are sparring. This is the most important factor.

In search of the Temple of Light

• 2 months later...
I sparred again this past Monday night. Went well until I have to spar with a teenage girl (had never sparred before, no control at all)

Hmmm They are dangerous (well we all were dangerous at the beginning.)When I first sparred I made sure I would do this with someone my rank or a beginner, you know, cause I would be better. Unfortunatelly the lesson was quite painful, they had no control at all. thus I mage a big change in my "strategy" and accepted to sparr only with higher ranks. it's better. They control their technique and it's OK.

My instructor does some self defence classes and a friend of mine plus my wonderful :D person decided to take them too. The students have no MA training at all and they are learning some kicks and punches. yesterday a boy wanted to work with me, and although I work with my friend we decided to change the partner. He was terrified that I would hit him. After 2-3 repetitions he realised it's impossible. It wasn't my intention to hurt him (that would be silly) and stopped the punches so I would just touch him. He liked it. Well for my case, I was scared, because the guy had really no control nd I was supposed to trust him :)

Fortunatelly it went well.

So my conclusion ... avoid beginners ... :D :D Or train them so they'll learn they don't have to knock their partner unconcius :D

• 1 month later...
The way i was taught was never fight 2d always fight as if your opponent is in the middle of a circle. Move around keep your feet moving so when you do through a punch or a kick he wont see it coming...Sparring is awsome...you learn soo much from it...and if you get hit then all that is going to do is teach you....oh by the way my favorite movie is Kickboxer!!!!!!

It should only take 5 seconds!

*gasp* the evil creature was mentioned!! :lol:

Everyone has provided some good advice on techniques, etc.

Just stay calm, listen to your instructors' advice as well, and learn from upper belts. If you ever get the opportunity to fight them, ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!! The worst thing you can ever do when fighting an upper belt is to let the opportunity go to waste. At the beginning of the fight, ask them if they can help you a bit. Learn some combinations and counters, etc.

Most importantly, don't freak out. When that happens, you're slow-moving and jerky...when you move at all.

Don't worry about looking like an idiot. I look like an idiot every time I fight :D I get kicked to the floor about 5 times a match. :dead:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.