• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to sparring

Well, I don't know about you guys but it's been a couple weeks now and I am wonderin' how karatemom survived her first sparring experience.

We've recently had some new women join our school (actually we have a few crossing over from fitness kickboxing to begin training in TKD) Seems their worst fear is .... sparring!

Our class (Black Belt) is before theirs and when they see us "go at it" it's enough to make any beginner want to run out the front door!

I tell these women to just keep their guard up (protect that face) by digging your lead elbow in along side your oblique area, other elbow across your mid section and stay in a sideway stance (until you get the feel of sparring your opponent).... and just throw the combos you learn in class!

So KarateMom where are you?????? Did you survive?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One important thing about beginning to spar is that the new student should be paired with a fairly experience student (2d kyu or up.). Sparring can be frightening. Also, obviously, beginners do unusual things. I've been injured more often by petite female newbies who did somehting completely unexpected than I have by sparring higher belts. For many people, it is dificult to bring out any sense of aggressiveness. Especially in women (although this may sound sexist, it seems to be true.). Women are taught to be passive, adn so seem to have difficulty attacking.

That said, many women go on to become excellent at Kumite. One of my early instructors was all of 4'11" tall, weighed probably 100Lb. soaking wet, and was one of the toughest sparrers I have ever seen. :smile:

My friend Dan is 6'4", 260ish, and is a purely defensive sparrer. Oh well.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Went great! However in all the excitement of getting to spar I mangled my big toe on my left foot that night after sparring. Was running bare foot from the car to the house and caught my toe in my ghi (sp?) pants.

I would have thought if I was going to get hurt it would be during the sparring not after!

~*KarateMom*~

I agree..

Someone also mentioned to look at the opponent's arm & legs, to somebody who watches your eyes, this make it really easy for them to see where you're going to hit. Look them in the eye, most people look at their opponent's body which is an advantage to you. You can win just with the eyes, keep looking at your opponent's eyes, even if they're not looking at yours, try and instill some fear in them through your eyes.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

No, its a simple way to highlight the most important part of sparring. A lot of people actually ignore it, preferring to go racing in with thousands of attacks, and then being floored by a single well-placed, or lucky, technique.

If you can not get hit in sparring, you've won already. Learning to hit people comes later.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

I am glad it went well! I remember back in the olden days :lol: when I started sparring! (It was actually like a little under three years ago, but I'm only 15....) You will no doubt FEEL improvement within your next few bouts. What I used to do and still do to this day is, when in class we learn a new combo or technique, I try to use that a few times in a sparring round. Too often fighters become fixed on using only their favorite or best techniques, and this is a bad habit I once fell into (I thought that after under a year I knew what I was truly good at :lol:). I am truly rambling now! Much luck in the future! Remember, you fight not only with your hands and feet, but wqith your mind as well!

:kiss:

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

Hands by your head, stay relaxed, don't try anything that you haven't trained on, HAVE FUN, and if you are in range strike if not get away. Getting hit is a part of the game, but if you keep your hands up it will be less likely to be very bad. The last thing I can say is DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE. I know it sounds funny, but it is the hardest thing to teach. Most people hold their breathe

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."