• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to sparring

Hi,

Well my karate instructor wants me and 3 other students to start sparring (we are all Gold belts) none of us have ever sparred before. I have my gear but I don't want to look like an idiot being this is my first time doing this. Any advice?

~*KarateMom*~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2002-06-25 22:33, KarateMom wrote:

Hi,

Well my karate instructor wants me and 3 other students to start sparring (we are all Gold belts) none of us have ever sparred before. I have my gear but I don't want to look like an idiot being this is my first time doing this. Any advice?

Good for you, keep your guard up, if your not firing a punch, keep the face protected , watch your opponents chest for taletell movements, and use all those combos they been teaching ya, and most of all, relax and have patience...

Peace

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

When I break in new guys. I just start slow only thowing wild hooks really slow. Then I have then start to counter then we just add. Take your time and don't worry about anything but the man in front of ya.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Be swift on your feet, all the time moving on your feet never in the same place (make it into a dance). Never look at the oppenants body, look at his hands and his legs, you will then see when he is gonna strik or kick. Weaving is excellent. This done by when your oppenant strikes, duck, then as you come up you can either come back up towards him so then you can strike him, or you can duck and jump back with a kick or just somewhere to get your self back. Don't let nerves hold you or its called choking. Get it out of your system befor you go and fight. Always have a clear mind it should be like water: if water is clear then you can see the reflection so you see your oppenant, if it is not clear and smashed you cant see your oppenant.

So just to recap. Move all the time, weave dodge and always looking at your oppenants arms and legs to see where there gonna go not at their body, also intimidate the oppenant by putting on a brave face abd showing that you are not scared of him (fear will cripple a fighter), and always keep a clear mind.

Hope this helps

The most important thing to aquire is a sense of your opponent's striking distance.

Your first order of business should be to find the very edge of where he can reach you.

Learn to move sympathetically at this distance.

Try to draw your opponent into overextending so that you can attack when he/she is off balance.

Control the fighting distance and you control your opponent.

Stay balanced and elusive and you will not "look like an idiot"

Also, since you are a drummer experiment with broken rhythms in your footwork and punches and kicks. lull your opponent with some sort of eighth note pattern then explode at him on a sixteenth. in a word, ASSUME CONTROL! Do not expect to be a master tactician at first; just listen to your instructor for pointers and keep a cool head.

Check back and tell us how it went.

We will make a warrior out of you yet!

ps: look upon worn out phrases like "Just go for it" as highly suspect and possibly even communist. :wink:

"It is not enough to aim, you must hit."

-Italian Proverb

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-07-11 04:13 ]

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"