• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

bunkai of the Pinan Katas

unknownstyle

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Come on guys, this is a Karate Forum, it says so at the top of the page.

This is basic stuff. Isn't it?

Sorry, but I came into this thread late in the discussion. Can you catch me up to speed as to what it is that you're wanting and I'll contribute anyway that I can to this discussion.

Please and thank you!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michi, I don't even know what you said prior to that last post :lol: .

Chalk it up to my complete lack of language skills.

Sorry, but I came into this thread late in the discussion. Can you catch me up to speed as to what it is that you're wanting and I'll contribute anyway that I can to this discussion.

We are discussing the possible application to the moves found in Pinan (Heian) Yondan, and we are at the latter stages after we have performed the 3 Soto-Uke in Nekoashi dachi.

Sorry Tallgeese that is the three outer blocks in a cat stance.

There is then a turn 225 deg (180 deg in Shoto I think). In Wado we combine this with a kake uke or (hook hand block) with one hand and a downward palm block with the other.

In Shoto I think its two Shuto (knife hand blocks).

Bushido-mans reasoning behind incorporating a throw into the turning motion is always worth thinking about me thinks. Certainly the opportunity to "off balance" your opponent (Kuzushi) and to strike/soften your opponent (Atemi) arises in the preceding techniques. I always like to look for the opportunity to apply Atemi and or Kuzushi into all my techniques as they facilitate the breaking your opponents "Shesei" or posture. Vital in order to do a good throw.

So with your opponents Shesei broken, perhaps a throw is what comes next....?

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Throw/takedown. I guess it wouldn't have to be a flat out Judo-type launching, but a takedown and finish wouldn't be out of the question.

sensei8 wrote:

We are discussing the possible application to the moves found in Pinan (Heian) Yondan, and we are at the latter stages after we have performed the 3 Soto-Uke in Nekoashi dachi.

Aha! We're at the very end of this Kata.

One possible application(s) for the sequence(s) at the very end of this Kata after the Hiza Geri (This is where we're at in this topic, right?):

Mae-Geri Keage aimed to the mid-section, followed up with a Jodan/Chudan Gyaku-Zuki.

>>Right from that combination one could utilize several of the following Nage Waza's depending on one's Ashi Sabaki:

(No particular preference as to one over another)

* Deashi Harai

* Harai Tsurikomi Ashi

* Okuriashi Harai

* Kosoto/Kouchi Gari

* Yoko Otoshi

* Tsubame Gaeshi

* Hiza Guruma

The above list are some, yet not limited, possibilities and therefore nothing more should be read into this. Tuite also avails itself to this ending sequence of Pinan/Heian Yondan as well. Hopefully I've opened some doors to consider as to POSSIBLE Bunkai. Remember, Bunkai/Oyo is an interpretation of the practitioner through discoveries revealed in training.

There's no incorrect in Bunkai; only ineffective technique(s)! IMHO!

Hi sensei8,

I see your preferences are bias toward the sweeps and throws that can be interpreted here. Your list of techniques would be more familiar to Judo-ka than Karate-ka perhaps.

Thing is, how many doors do you need to open (as you put it) in order to cover all possible scenarios?

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Hi sensei8,

I see your preferences are bias toward the sweeps and throws that can be interpreted here. Your list of techniques would be more familiar to Judo-ka than Karate-ka perhaps.

Thing is, how many doors do you need to open (as you put it) in order to cover all possible scenarios?

I'm not bias towards sweeps and throws, in that, I was just offering some Bunkai possibilities to consider in ones everlasting search. You're right when you say that the techniques I listed would be more familiar to Judoka's than Karateka's but, they're still possibilities nonetheless.

I, as a dedicated Karateka/Martial Artist needs to open as many doors and then some in order to cover all possible scenarios; eventhough I'll never find every possible scenarios. Therefore, the "doors" that I've opened for our discussions are just a possible beginning in our Bunkai journey, IMHO!